* Is anybody looking at PRs submitted to gnats-gnats at all?
@ 2000-10-16 10:13 Steffen Opel
From: Steffen Opel @ 2000-10-16 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel

Salut,

is there anybody actually taking care of incoming PRs for GNATS itself?
I don't have a problem getting an 'unassigned' response in first place,
but given that there are almost no PRs even analyzed since January 2000
with most of them only test/spam reports (hence easy to 'fix') I'm
wondering wether they even get attention of the right people or wether
we are better off to just send them here instead, since some recent
statements on this list indicated that GNATS *is* actively maintained
(Paul/Bob/Jason/...)?  As Gerald Pfeifer just pointed out, the lack of
response on these PRs is a bit frustrating and not very productive.

Folks, I've just managed to get 4.0 to work pretty easily and it seems
to be a tremendous enhancement, easier to install and configure, lots of
new and long awaited features, great work!  Still, of course, there are
and will be things to fix and I'd like to submit these patches somewhere;
please consider to trust your system and to track GNATS PRs with GNATS
again ;-)

Thanks much and Ciao,
Steffen

* Re: Is anybody looking at PRs submitted to gnats-gnats at all?
@ 2000-10-17  7:36   ` David H. Thornley
From: David H. Thornley @ 2000-10-17  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen Opel; +Cc: gnats-devel

Steffen Opel wrote:

> On Oct 16 Mehul (Mehul N. Sanghvi) wrote:
>
> > Where does one get the 4.0 sources ?
>
> You'll have to check them out yourself anonymously from the GNATS CVS
> repository at redhat (cygnus), as documented at the GNATS website
> ( http://sources.redhat.com/gnats ):

What I'd really like is to have somebody make some sort of version
of the dailies, so that everybody trying to use it would be on the
same page.  (Then again, I just updated again after weeks of leaving
it alone, and there were no changes, so everybody who's checked out
the source halfway recently is using the same base version.  BTW,
I don't find this lack of change encouraging.)

> > And how easy is it to upgrade from the latest 3.xxx release ?
>
> This I don't know, I have started my current project from scratch.

I don't know either.  I'd like to upgrade, and have gotten general
approval from management, but AFAIK there is no documentation on
the changes, no assurance that it works, and so I'm waiting.

> > Is the problem with gen-index generating duplicate entries if previous
> > entries have something missing, fixed in 4.0 ?
>
> I don't know either, but apparently the index functionality has ben rewritten
> to support binary indices, which are ways faster than the ones in the past;
> given the quality of Bobs great rewrite project I'd be confident that this
> works :-)

My guess would be that any competent rewriting would eliminate that
bug.  (Not that the bug is a symptom of incompetence, but that it's
something of a fluke, and unlikely to happen.  If the rewriter
knew of the bug beforehand, I'd assume it would be eliminated.)

--
David H. Thornley                          Software Engineer
at CES International, Inc.:  David.Thornley@ces.com or (763)-694-2556

* Re: Is anybody looking at PRs submitted to gnats-gnats at all?
       [not found] <msanghvi@yahoo.com>
@ 2000-10-17  3:54 ` Steffen Opel
From: Steffen Opel @ 2000-10-17  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel

On Oct 16 Mehul (Mehul N. Sanghvi) wrote:

> Where does one get the 4.0 sources ?

You'll have to check them out yourself anonymously from the GNATS CVS
repository at redhat (cygnus), as documented at the GNATS website
( http://sources.redhat.com/gnats ):

Initialize your anonymous login account (enter anoncvs as password)

	$ cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/gnats login

Checkout the GNATS sources

	$ cvs -z9 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/gnats co -P gnats

> And how easy is it to upgrade from the latest 3.xxx release ?

This I don't know, I have started my current project from scratch.

> Is the problem with gen-index generating duplicate entries if previous
> entries have something missing, fixed in 4.0 ?

I don't know either, but apparently the index functionality has ben rewritten
to support binary indices, which are ways faster than the ones in the past;
given the quality of Bobs great rewrite project I'd be confident that this
works :-)

> Also does Gnatsweb work with 4.0 ?  That would be important, as that is
> the interface we will be deploying throughout the company (except for
> my desktop which will have good old emacs support :) )

Basically yes, but there are a few problems (severity depending on your
needs), like for example access level problems as documented in PR 108:

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=108&database=gnats&user=guest&password=guest

I'm eventually going to fix all of those I'll encounter over time, if at all
possible (the 108 problem depends on GNATS 4 itself, hence a response from
the GNATS maintainer is required to provide a decent solution); but since I'm
doing this for a spare time project at the moment there are no guarantees and
schedules at all, no business should rely on this!

Another problem here seems to be that the maintainer of Gnatsweb apparently
has not only dropped the project but is unreachable too, making the
probably needed move to a new maintainer a bit more difficult.  Consequently
there will be the problem again with collecting/publishing patches to
gnatsweb in a coordinated manner rather than just sending them to this list
here and there.

@ 2000-10-16 14:59 Mehul N. Sanghvi
From: Mehul N. Sanghvi @ 2000-10-16 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen Opel, gnats-devel

Where does one get the 4.0 sources ?   And how easy is it to upgrade
from the latest 3.xxx release ?  Is the problem with gen-index
generating duplicate entries if previous entries have something
missing, fixed in 4.0 ?  My company is moving away from its current
Bugs Managements System (aka flat-file in RCS), to GNATS.  I have just
completed the conversion to 3.112 and before I roll it out completley,
I would not mind even moving to 4.0 if someone can point me to the
sources.  I understand 4.0 is still "alpha/beta" and not officially
released yet,  but that does not matter.

Also does Gnatsweb work with 4.0 ?  That would be important, as that is
the interface we will be deploying throughout the company (except for
my desktop which will have good old emacs support :) )

thanks,

  mehul

http://im.yahoo.com/