* how to install gnatsweb???
@ 2001-03-19  8:21 Wes Barris
       [not found] ` <Pine.BSF.4.33.0103191737190.22313-100000@taygeta.dbai.tuwi>
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wes Barris @ 2001-03-19  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I need some help installing gnatsweb.  I am trying to do this on a
new Redhat 7 (Linux) system.  I have tried installing gnats via rpm
(the prefered method), cvs (as described on
http://sources.redhat.com/gnats/ ), and finally, building manually (using
configure, make, etc.).  It seems that gnats itself is working.  I can
use either send-pr or query-pr and all is well.

I can't get gnatsweb-2.7beta to work with any of these installations.
It can't be that hard.  Others use it, right?  The INSTALL file that
comes with gnatsweb says:

1) install gnatsd -- Done.

2) configure host access -- Done.

3) gnats/web servers on same hose -- Skip.

4) line 1 of gnatsweb.pl -- Done.

5) make test USERNAME=anon PASSWORD=pw DATABASE=db_alias

What is the "db_alias"?  This is the first I have seen it mentioned.
Here is what I tried:

root@kirby# make test USERNAME=wes PASSWORD=test DATABASE=gnats-adm
perl test.pl

<H1>Software error:</H1>
<PRE>Can't call method &quot;header&quot; on an undefined value at gnatsweb.pl line 2117, &lt;SOCK&gt; line 1.
</PRE>
<P>
For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message
and the time and date of the error.

[Mon Mar 19 10:13:54 2001] test.pl: Can't call method "header" on an undefined value at gnatsweb.pl line 2117, <SOCK> line 1.
connect...........................................FAIL
make: *** [test] Error 255
root@kirby#

Would someone please please please tell me what I am missing?  Others
must get this error too.  I have followed all of the instructions
as far as I can tell.  What do others do to get gnatsweb to work???

When I try to access gnatsweb.pl from the web, it prompts me for
a username and password, but the database selection box is empty.
I have attached a very small gif showing what it looks like.

Wes Barris                                            wes@networkcs.com
Network Computing Services, Inc.                           612.626.8090
Today's fortune: It is easier to fight for one's principles than to
live up to them.

* Re: how to install gnatsweb???
       [not found] ` <Pine.BSF.4.33.0103191737190.22313-100000@taygeta.dbai.tuwi>
@ 2001-03-19  8:41 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2001-03-19  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wes Barris; +Cc: gnats-devel

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Wes Barris wrote:
> I can't get gnatsweb-2.7beta to work with any of these installations.
> It can't be that hard.

I may be wrong, but is gnatsweb-2.7beta compatible with GNATS 3.x?

My recommendation would be to try using both GNATS and gnatsweb from
current CVS.

(I have to admit that I've never done the `make test' thingie, as all
gnatsweb installations I'm using are historical. We definitely need
further people to contribute to gnatsweb. If you make any progress,
please send patches to update the documentation!)

Gerald

* Re: how to install gnatsweb???
@ 2001-03-19  8:44   ` Wes Barris
From: Wes Barris @ 2001-03-19  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Wes Barris, gnats-devel

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 05:40:07PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Wes Barris wrote:
> > I can't get gnatsweb-2.7beta to work with any of these installations.
> > It can't be that hard.
>
> I may be wrong, but is gnatsweb-2.7beta compatible with GNATS 3.x?
>
> My recommendation would be to try using both GNATS and gnatsweb from
> current CVS.

I've already tried that as you previously suggested.  Gnats from
CVS is far from complete.  I've posted to this list the many problems
I've had from attempting that install.

@ 2001-03-19  9:07   ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-03-19  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer, Wes Barris; +Cc: gnats-devel

At 17:40 19.03.2001 +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>I may be wrong, but is gnatsweb-2.7beta compatible with GNATS 3.x?
>
>My recommendation would be to try using both GNATS and gnatsweb from
>current CVS.
>
>(I have to admit that I've never done the `make test' thingie, as all
>gnatsweb installations I'm using are historical. We definitely need
>further people to contribute to gnatsweb. If you make any progress,
>please send patches to update the documentation!)

2.7 beta works perfectly well with GNATS 3.x

Wes Barris <wes@networkcs.com> wrote:
>5) make test USERNAME=anon PASSWORD=pw DATABASE=db_alias

db_alias is the primary name or one of the alias names of your database, as
specified in gnats-db.conf, and specifying that correctly should help.

Hope this helps,

Yngve Svendsen
IS Engineer
Clustra AS, Trondheim, Norway
yngve.svendsen@clustra.com

* Re: how to install gnatsweb???
       [not found] ` <Pine.BSF.4.33.0103191737190.22313-100000@taygeta.dbai.tuwi>
@ 2001-03-19 10:05 ` George Nawfal
From: George Nawfal @ 2001-03-19 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I've had this problem before.   I was missing a colon in one of the lines in the 'Categories' file.

Look into your gnats-db.conf file and make sure that it is correct.
Then look into the configuration files and verify that they are correct too. Try to restore those files to their defaults and
see if that solves your problem. It worked for me.

George

* Re: how to install gnatsweb???
@ 2001-03-19 10:36     ` Wes Barris
From: Wes Barris @ 2001-03-19 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yngve Svendsen; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, Wes Barris, gnats-devel

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 06:05:49PM +0100, Yngve Svendsen wrote:
> At 17:40 19.03.2001 +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> >I may be wrong, but is gnatsweb-2.7beta compatible with GNATS 3.x?
> >
> >My recommendation would be to try using both GNATS and gnatsweb from
> >current CVS.
> >
> >(I have to admit that I've never done the `make test' thingie, as all
> >gnatsweb installations I'm using are historical. We definitely need
> >further people to contribute to gnatsweb. If you make any progress,
> >please send patches to update the documentation!)
>
> 2.7 beta works perfectly well with GNATS 3.x
>
> Wes Barris <wes@networkcs.com> wrote:
> >5) make test USERNAME=anon PASSWORD=pw DATABASE=db_alias
>
> db_alias is the primary name or one of the alias names of your database, as
> specified in gnats-db.conf, and specifying that correctly should help.

I don't have a gnats-db.conf file.  At least I can't find one
anywhere.  Is the install procedure of gnats supposed to make one?
I made categories (using mkcat).  The gnats commands send-pr and
query-pr appear to work.  Does that imply that I do have a gnats-db.conf
file somewhere?

I see no mention of this file in the README file in the
gnats-3.113.tar.gz file.  Nothing is said about it in the gnats
manual found here: http://sources.redhat.com/gnats/3_113_manual/
Is everyone else following different instructions???  Where are
they?

@ 2001-03-20  6:50     ` Wes Barris
From: Wes Barris @ 2001-03-20  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yngve Svendsen; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, Wes Barris, gnats-devel

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 06:05:49PM +0100, Yngve Svendsen wrote:

> 2.7 beta works perfectly well with GNATS 3.x
>
> Wes Barris <wes@networkcs.com> wrote:
> >5) make test USERNAME=anon PASSWORD=pw DATABASE=db_alias
>
> db_alias is the primary name or one of the alias names of your database, as
> specified in gnats-db.conf, and specifying that correctly should help.
>
> Hope this helps,

I figured it out!  You mentioned a "gnats-db.conf" file.  I didn't
have one.  When I created one and put it in the /etc directory, it
worked.  A lot of you gnatsweb users will probably say: "Well DUH!!!".

The thing is, I have never used gnatsweb (or gnats for that matter)
before.  /etc/gnats-db.conf is not installed via the "make" procedure.
Nothing is said about this file in the documentation.  A new user
like me has no way of knowing anything about this file.

After receiving the above email, I used the unix "find" command to
locate the gnats-db.conf file in the .tar.gz distribution.  The only
way I knew where to place this file was because of the first comment
in the file:

   # sample /etc/gnats-db.conf file
   # list of GNATS databases and aliases
   # Field 1 - fully qualified path to database
   # Field 2 - a comma separated list of aliases
   /var/lib/gnats/gnats-db:normal,standard,regular
   #/var/lib/gnats/alternate-db:alt
   #/home/gnats/special-db:special

The database line even needs to be fixed to work with the default
installation.  Information about this file really needs to be made
available somewhere if people are expected to be able to install
this stuff.

> Yngve Svendsen
> IS Engineer
> Clustra AS, Trondheim, Norway
> yngve.svendsen@clustra.com

Wes Barris                                            wes@networkcs.com
Network Computing Services, Inc.                           612.626.8090
Today's fortune: Life is a game of bridge -- and you've just been
finessed.