* diff-prs
@ 2003-09-20  9:46 Paul Richardson
From: Paul Richardson @ 2003-09-20  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

Before I embark on learning some awk, I was wondering if anyone else in
the 4.0 release of gnats. I get errors pointing to lines 24 -> 26 of
diff-prs when I try and run it on our solaris system. What happens is
when I invoke edit-pr and get to the point where I change the value of
the state and then write the modified pr out, I get a dialogue
indicating that I should give a reason for the change. The problem seems
to be I the awk code in diff-prs...

Paul Richardson
TriCN
164 Townsend St, Suite 10
San Francisco, Ca 94107-1989
Phone: 1.415.625.6071
fax 415.625.3616
www.tricn.com

* Re: diff-prs
@ 2003-09-20 23:03 ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2003-09-20 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Richardson; +Cc: help-gnats

Paul Richardson wrote:

> Before I embark on learning some awk, I was wondering if anyone else in
> the 4.0 release of gnats. I get errors pointing to lines 24 -> 26 of
> diff-prs when I try and run it on our solaris system. What happens is
> when I invoke edit-pr and get to the point where I change the value of
> the state and then write the modified pr out, I get a dialogue
> indicating that I should give a reason for the change. The problem seems
> to be I the awk code in diff-prs…

I seem to remember that I fixed an awk-related problem on Solaris for
the 3.113.1 release. There was something wrong with quoting in one of
the calls to awk. I will try to look at it as soon as I can.

Yngve Svendsen
Gnatsweb maintainer

* Re: diff-prs
@ 2003-09-22 18:04 ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2003-09-22 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Richardson; +Cc: help-gnats

Paul Richardson wrote:
> Before I embark on learning some awk, I was wondering if anyone else in
> the 4.0 release of gnats. I get errors pointing to lines 24 -> 26 of
> diff-prs when I try and run it on our solaris system. What happens is
> when I invoke edit-pr and get to the point where I change the value of
> the state and then write the modified pr out, I get a dialogue
> indicating that I should give a reason for the change. The problem seems
> to be I the awk code in diff-prs…

I just committed a fix to CVS. Basically, /usr/bin/awk on Solaris is
ancient, so it doesn't support the sub command for substring
substitution, which is what happens on lines 24, 25 and 26 in the
diff-prs script. Solaris and other OSes with old awks usually have a
'nawk' command which is a more modern awk implementation.

I have added the standard autoconf check for awk to the GNATS configure
setup. This basically checks for gawk, mawk, nawk, and awk, in that
order (gawk, GNU awk, is generally considered the best implementation),
and uses the best implementation available in the diff-prs script.

Look at https://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=gnats for instructions on
checking out the CVS version of GNATS.

Yngve Svendsen