* RE: Failing to connect
@ 2003-11-14  6:56 Tume Römer
From: Tume Römer @ 2003-11-14  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mel Hatzis; +Cc: help-gnats

Thanks - I solved it by creating the default as suggested,
but now I understand _what_ is happening. This should
definitely be mentioned in the UPGRADING document.

I'll use the GNATSDB environment variable to get rid of
the unneeded default database (It confuses my users :-) )

/Tume

* Re: Failing to connect
@ 2003-11-14  8:08 ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2003-11-14  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tume Römer; +Cc: help-gnats, Mel Hatzis

Tume Römer wrote:
> Thanks - I solved it by creating the default as suggested,
> but now I understand _what_ is happening. This should
> definitely be mentioned in the UPGRADING document.

Glad to hear you got it fixed. This should be mentioned in the docs,
yes. Anyone care to submit a fix to me? I do not have time to do this
myself right now.

Yngve Svendsen
GNATS doc guy

* Re: Failing to connect
@ 2003-11-13 20:57 ` Mel Hatzis
From: Mel Hatzis @ 2003-11-13 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tume Römer; +Cc: help-gnats

On 11/13/2003 05:29 AM, Tume Römer submitted:
> I've installed Gnats 4.0 (Upgrade from 3.113) on a Solaris 2.7 machine.
>
> I'm getting the following error on a telnet connect (and in gnatsweb):
>
> -----
> telnet enterprise 1529
> Trying <ipnumber here>
> Connected to enterprise.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 417 GNATS initialization of database failed: No such database as default
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> ----
>
> Gnats was configured with the following:
> .//configure  --host=sparc-sun-solaris2.7 --with-gnats-server=enterprise --with-full-gnats --prefix
> =/opt/gnats --with-gnats-default-db=/opt/gnats/share/gnats/FAR
>
> And resides in /opt/gnats with all databases in /opt/gnats/share/gnats (FAR is one of them).
>
> databases file is in /opt/gnats/etc/gnats and looks like this without the comments:
>
> FAR:Field And Repair Database:/opt/gnats/share/gnats/FAR
> Development:Development and RMA Database:/opt/gnats/share/gnats/Development
> QualitySystem:Quality System Database:/opt/gnats/share/gnats/QualitySystem
> Production:Production Database:/opt/gnats/share/gnats/Production

GNATS generally requires that you have a database named 'default'.
This is because the gnats server automatically connects to the
'default' database when it receives a client connection.

You can circumvent this by setting the GNATSDB environment
variable to one of the databases you've defined above
(FAR, Development, QualitySystem or Production) in the
environment under which gnatsd is run.

Good luck.

--
Mel Hatzis

> and the gnatsd.host-access looks like this:
> *:edit:
>
> I really do not have a clue and would appreciate any input on how to debug this.
>
> Regards,
> /Tume

* Failing to connect
@ 2003-11-13 13:28 Tume Römer