* Gnats 4 install howto
@ 2001-03-22 14:11 Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-03-22 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel, bug-gnats

I finally got my Gnats 4 install notes typed up in a form that is readable.
The how-to is loosely based on the Gnats 3 install documentation, but all
those subtle, hard-to-ferret-out differences are now (hopefully)
documented. The document is still in a very early stage, but it should take
those people who want to try Gnats 4 through the hardest parts of the
installation.

The URL is http://sources.redhat.com/gnats/gnats4inst.html

And in case people are wondering: Gnats 4 is actually quite usable in its
current state.

Yngve Svendsen
IS Engineer
Clustra AS, Trondheim, Norway
yngve.svendsen@clustra.com

* Web interface for GNATS administration?
@ 2001-03-24 15:17 ` Hugo Gayosso
From: Hugo Gayosso @ 2001-03-24 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel; +Cc: savannah-hackers

* Re: Web interface for GNATS administration?
@ 2001-04-08 11:28   ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2001-04-08 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo Gayosso; +Cc: gnats-devel, savannah-hackers

    HG> I know that gnatsweb helps in creating, viewing, editing PRs,
    HG> but what about GNATS administration?

    HG> Is there plans to develop such interface? (either inside
    HG> gnatsweb or a completely independent one).

AFAIK it's very unlikely.

As for savannah, the quickest solution is probably to write your own
simple system now.

In longer run, however, I'd prefer moving GNATS closer to already
existent "configuration via Web" systems (don't ask me which ones, I
don't know and use them, but I suppose they exist).  For instance, one
my friend would like GNATS could have stored its configuration in LDAP
so that he could use his general LDAP management system for GNATS
configuration.

Particularly, if anybody wanted to create a Python API to GNATS, please
let me know.  I've already attempted to create one in gnats2w but did it
in a wrong way (it doesn't fit the flexibility of GNATS 4).

Milan Zamazal

--
Wasting somebody else's time strikes me as the height of rudeness.
						      Bill Gates

* Re: Web interface for GNATS administration?
@ 2001-04-27 16:51   ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-04-27 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo Gayosso, gnats-devel; +Cc: savannah-hackers

At 18:20 24.03.2001 -0500, Hugo Gayosso wrote:

>Hello everyone!
>
>As some of you already know at the GNU Project, we use GNATS as a bug
>tracking system. We want to integrate it into our new web-based
>collaboration environment called Savannah.
>
>I know that gnatsweb helps in creating, viewing, editing PRs, but what
>about GNATS administration?
>
>Is there plans to develop such interface? (either inside gnatsweb or a
>completely independent one).
>
>We need one for Savannah, so we are willing to join forces and develop
>one that will help everybody but that can be customized for Savannah.
>
>Who is working on such beast?
>
>Greetings,

I don't know if you found it yourself, but there is actually a fairly
well-working web-interface for Gnats administration, developed by Mike
Sutton, described in the mailing list archives. Have a look at
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/bug-gnats/1999-07/msg00067.html

I got it working very easily, and it performed quite well during some,
admittedly limited, testing. I does seem to have certain problems with
blank lines in config files (leading, for example, to the addition of
no-name categories), but these should be fairly straightforward to fix.
Multiple database support should be fairly easy to add by some advanced
cutting and pasting from Gnatsweb. It could also be modified to work with
Gnats 4 fairly easily

What needs to be addressed is security.

Would any of the Savannah people be interested in picking up this and
developing it further (I am assuming here that Mr. Sutton has no objections) ?