* Spearate Gnats and Mail Servers?
@ 2001-06-06  6:35 nick
From: nick @ 2001-06-06  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel

Hi.  I want to setup Gnats and Gnatsweb.  I have done it once before
when our company mail and web-servers were the same machine.  Now they
are different, so am having some difficultly understanding the role of
gnatsd for submitting problems.

Is it possible to have the gnat's aliases and client utilities
(queue-pr) on the mailserver, and have these utilities contact gnatsd on
the internal gnats/web server?

Thanks,

nick

* Re: Spearate Gnats and Mail Servers?
@ 2001-06-06  6:51 ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-06-06  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nick, gnats-devel

At 14:35 06.06.01 +0100, nick@brainstorm.co.uk wrote:
>Hi.  I want to setup Gnats and Gnatsweb.  I have done it once before
>when our company mail and web-servers were the same machine.  Now they
>are different, so am having some difficultly understanding the role of
>gnatsd for submitting problems.
>
>Is it possible to have the gnat's aliases and client utilities
>(queue-pr) on the mailserver, and have these utilities contact gnatsd on
>the internal gnats/web server?

What you need is for queue-pr to have facilities for speaking to a remote
gnatsd. GNATS 3 cannot do that, but this is precisely one of the new
features of GNATS 4. Indeed, one of the main areas of change for version 4
has been a vastly increased focus on remote access, obviating the need for
a lot of the communications that is done by e-mail in version 3.

Version 4 is not quite ready, but once the current queue of 4-5 patches are
committed, it is in good shape, and should be very usable. Unfortunately,
the docs for version 4 aren't ready yet, but I am working on them and I
hope to have a usable version of them by the end of June. If the system
you're implementing isn't needed right away, I suggest you wait for GNATS 4.

Yngve Svendsen
Gnatsweb maintainer