* Need "usertool" target for make
@ 2001-06-13  7:54 Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-06-13  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Zamazal, gnats-devel

I am currently sweating over the documentation for installing GNATS user
tools on remote machines, so that the tools can access gnatsd directly over
the network.

In my opinion, the logical strategy for this looks something like this:

- On the client machine, download and untar GNATS. Run "./configure"
- Run "make usertools". This would build all the tools required on client
machines, roughly corresponding to the tools currently built by the targets
send-pr in send-pr/Makefile and tools-all in gnats/Makefile.
- Run "make install-usertools". This would install the tools built by the
make above and copy a default send-pr.conf file to /usr/local/etc/gnats.
- Edit send-pr.conf to fit local needs and add a proper GNATSDB variable
setting to user's environments.

I am unable to find anything resembling the targets "usertools" and
"install-usertools" outlined above in the current master Makefile, but I
don't think adding this would be a lot of work. However, I am not
sufficiently experienced with makefiles to do this myself.

An alternative would be to add a --tools-only option to configure. I don't
know what solution would be the best, but we really need to have a way to
install the user tools on client machines before GNATS 4 can be said to be
complete.

- Yngve

* Re: Need "usertool" target for make
@ 2001-06-17 12:26 ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2001-06-17 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yngve Svendsen; +Cc: gnats-devel

    YS> I am unable to find anything resembling the targets "usertools"
    YS> and "install-usertools" outlined above in the current master
    YS> Makefile, but I don't think adding this would be a lot of
    YS> work. However, I am not sufficiently experienced with makefiles
    YS> to do this myself.

    YS> An alternative would be to add a --tools-only option to
    YS> configure. I don't know what solution would be the best, but we
    YS> really need to have a way to install the user tools on client
    YS> machines before GNATS 4 can be said to be complete.

There used to be the configure option `--with-full-gnats' but that was
removed.  However, gnats/Makefile.in still contains the *-gnats and
*-tools targets serving exactly that purpose.  They only don't seem to
be propagated to the top-level Makefile.

BTW, the top-level Makefile looks like a horrible mess.  It's three
times larger than the Emacs one and it seems to be more general than
needed, I don't like it.  Unless anyone objects, I'll clean it up,
together with moving the documentation to a separate directory.

Milan Zamazal

--
Wasting somebody else's time strikes me as the height of rudeness.
						      Bill Gates

* Re: Need "usertool" target for make
@ 2001-06-17 12:30   ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-06-17 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Zamazal; +Cc: gnats-devel

At 14:35 17.06.2001 +0200, Milan Zamazal wrote:
>There used to be the configure option `--with-full-gnats' but that was
>removed.  However, gnats/Makefile.in still contains the *-gnats and
>*-tools targets serving exactly that purpose.  They only don't seem to
>be propagated to the top-level Makefile.
>
>BTW, the top-level Makefile looks like a horrible mess.  It's three
>times larger than the Emacs one and it seems to be more general than
>needed, I don't like it.  Unless anyone objects, I'll clean it up,
>together with moving the documentation to a separate directory.

Excellent idea. I won't do any checkins on the manual for a few days now,
so just go ahead.

- Yngve