* multiple databases and virtual domains
@ 2003-06-06 18:02 Mehul N. Sanghvi
From: Mehul N. Sanghvi @ 2003-06-06 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

'allo,

    It has been a while since I last worked with GNATS and this is
    something I have not before.  I downloaded GNATS 4 beta 2 sometime
    last week, built it, installed it and also installed the Gnatsweb
    interface from the contrib directory.

    The gnats server (called hostname.attbi.com), has several virtual domains
    on it.  I am running Postfix with virtual domains setup.  The
    virtual domains are nothing more then CNAME entries in DNS which
    point to hostname.attbi.com.  I have three such virtual domains.
    Postfix handles them fine.  I want to know if GNATS can handle
    virtual domains, and if so, how do I go about it ?  Or does it not
    care ?  Does it rely on the mail system to do the virtual domains
    for it ?

    If GNATS relies on the MTA for virtual domain support, I would
    guess that each of the databases I create would have to be setup
    correctly as a virtual address as far as the MTA is considered.

    Hope this makes sense.

cheers,

   mehul

p.s. The documentation regarding 'mkdb'  should mention the fact that
     you need to setup mail aliases for every database that you
     create.  I wrongly assumed that it was not necessary anymore
     since it wasn't in the documentation.

--
Mehul N. Sanghvi                  email: mehul@kirsun.com
Superior software is always free!   URL: http://kirsun.com/~mehul

* Re: multiple databases and virtual domains
@ 2003-06-06 19:18 ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2003-06-06 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mehul, help-gnats

At 13:50 06.06.2003 -0400, Mehul N. Sanghvi wrote:
>    If GNATS relies on the MTA for virtual domain support, I would
>     guess that each of the databases I create would have to be setup
>     correctly as a virtual address as far as the MTA is considered.

Yes, you need to have the MTA figure out everything regarding addressing.
GNATS only takes over from the point where mail is delivered to an address
on the system. It does not parse the To: address or attempt any other magic
to figure out which database the message should go into, so you need a
separate address for each database.

>p.s. The documentation regarding 'mkdb'  should mention the fact that
>      you need to setup mail aliases for every database that you
>      create.  I wrongly assumed that it was not necessary anymore
>      since it wasn't in the documentation.

Good point. I will look into fixing that.

Yngve Svendsen