@ 2002-01-27 15:02 Hans-Albert Schneider
From: Hans-Albert Schneider @ 2002-01-27 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

A long, long time ago (on September 21st, 2001), I wrote:

    > So I wondered whether there is an FAQ, [...]
    > If there is none, I am thinking of starting one in my spare
    > time.

OK, I did not expect my time to be *that* spare, but now there is
a first version at

	http://www.ha-schneider.de/software/gnats/faq.html

and

	http://www.ha-schneider.de/software/gnats/faq.texinfo

This is my first FAQ for an open source project, and it is my
first TeXinfo document.  Feel free to mail me any additions, as
well as any stilistic suggestions and corrections.

Those using GNATS 4 already: Could some of you tell me what has
changed?

Should the source be TeXinfo, or is something else more
appropriate?  (HTML?)

If TeXinfo is preferred, is there a better way than texi2html to
convert it into HTML?  (What does the GNU site do?  I seem to
have read that their source is TeXinfo, too, but they seem to
have another way to translate it to HTML.)

Hans-Albert

--
Hans-Albert Schneider
Munich, Germany

* Re: FAQ
@ 2002-01-27 21:50 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2002-01-27 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Albert Schneider; +Cc: help-gnats

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Hans-Albert Schneider wrote:
> Should the source be TeXinfo, or is something else more
> appropriate?  (HTML?)

Texinfo, in several senses, is a better language for documentation
like that, IMHO.

> If TeXinfo is preferred, is there a better way than texi2html to
> convert it into HTML?  (What does the GNU site do? [...]

I believe you could also use `makeinfo --html'; for example we are
using that on gcc.gnu.org, and I believe it's also used at various
places of www.gnu.org.

> I seem to have read that their source is TeXinfo, too, but they seem
> to have another way to translate it to HTML.)

Perhaps the source of the HTML contains the invocation of the conversion
tool somewhere, in form of a comment?

Gerald

* Re: FAQ
@ 2002-02-03 13:42 ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2002-02-03 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Albert; +Cc: help-gnats

    HS> OK, I did not expect my time to be *that* spare, but now there
    HS> is a first version at

Excellent, thanks!

    HS> Should the source be TeXinfo, or is something else more
    HS> appropriate?  (HTML?)

Please stick with Texinfo.  It can be converted to (almost) anything
reasonable and Texinfo documents can be easily included into the manual
(which would be IMO a good idea in the case of your FAQ, if you have
nothing against it).

I'll try to review the document more closely to give you some feedback
as soon as I have some time to do it, I'm a bit busy now.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
It's amazing how much better you feel once you've given up hope.
                                                (unknown source)

* Re: FAQ
@ 2002-02-05 15:08   ` Hans-Albert Schneider
From: Hans-Albert Schneider @ 2002-02-05 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Zamazal; +Cc: help-gnats

    HS> Should the source be TeXinfo, or is something else more
    HS> appropriate?  (HTML?)

    MZ> Please stick with Texinfo.  It can be converted to
    MZ> (almost) anything reasonable

Yes, it is amazing to see the many formats that can be generated
from Texinfo.

I have not been very happy with the output of texi2html,
especially with the navigation stuff that it produced every few
lines.

BTW, thanks to Gerald Pfeifer for pointing to "makeinfo --html".
Its output looks much better, in my opinion.  I have to play a
bit with it--it currently only produces one large HTML file.

    MZ> and Texinfo documents can be easily included into the
    MZ> manual (which would be IMO a good idea in the case of
    MZ> your FAQ, if you have nothing against it).

I don't think that an FAQ should be part of a manual.  But I do
think that it should be made available together with the
software, like the manual and maybe other documentation.

    MZ> I'll try to review the document more closely to give
    MZ> you some feedback as soon as I have some time to do
    MZ> it, I'm a bit busy now.

Thanks!

Hans-Albert

--

@ 2002-02-10 10:37     ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2002-02-10 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Albert; +Cc: help-gnats

    HS> I don't think that an FAQ should be part of a manual.  But I do
    HS> think that it should be made available together with the
    HS> software, like the manual and maybe other documentation.

OK.  Would you like to get a write access to GNATS' CVS and maintain the
Texinfo source there?

Also, would you prefer to maintain the FAQ Web page on your site where
it is now or would you like to have it under www.gnu.org/software/gnats?

General comments to the document:

- I'd suggest to either unify the names of the source and the generated
  Info file, or add the .info extension to the latter.  It saves some
  work with looking for the generated file :-).

- I think it would be useful to add some references to the GNATS manual.

- Em-dash is written as `---' rather than `--' in Texinfo.

GNATS 4 upgrades:

- The database definition file is now called `databases' and has a
  different format.

- There is the `mkdb' utility for creation of new databases after
  they're defined in `databases'.

- There is no longer necessary to run `mkcat' (though it's certainly
  possible), GNATS 4 creates missing category directories automatically.

- gnatsd can be perfectly started manually from the command line, though
  it hardly makes sense for any other purpose than debugging and
  diagnosing problems.

- gnatsd.user_access should be mentioned together with
  gnatsd.host_access.

- I doubt the Emacs mode works with XEmacs (but I haven't checked it).

- Maybe it would be useful to add an entry on bug reporting (hopefully
  that could contribute to improvement of some bug reports).  Some
  instructions can be found in the GNATS manual or on the GNATS home
  page.

What I've learned from the FAQ myself:

- The port 1529 is really assigned to something else.  I'll send another
  mail about it.

Thanks for nice and useful work!

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
Here is my advice, don't try to program the bleeding edge for the
general populace unless you really, really, really like migraines.

* Re: FAQ
@ 2002-05-01 10:39     ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2002-05-01 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Albert; +Cc: help-gnats

    HS> BTW, thanks to Gerald Pfeifer for pointing to "makeinfo --html".
    HS> Its output looks much better, in my opinion.  I have to play a
    HS> bit with it--it currently only produces one large HTML file.

makeinfo can split HTML now, since the Texinfo version 4.1.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
It's amazing how much better you feel once you've given up hope.
                                                (unknown source)

* gnats 4.0.1 beta ok but no acces with
@ 2002-05-07 18:46       ` bciceron
From: bciceron @ 2002-05-07 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

hi ,

i have a working gnats config on linux with the new beta.

the database 'default' is not empty .

the webserver + gnatsd + dtabase are located on the same system.

i wonder if this is a database name issue (name is 'null' below) or a
database access issue.
i'm confident of the access config fileS after reading the doc though.

--------------------------------------
but i still get the following when i try to connect to the deamon
(same with 127.0.0.1 and fqdn)

bash-2.04# telnet localhost 1529
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
422 GNATS initialization of database failed: You are not permitted to
access database (null).
--------------------------------------

the 'make test' didn't work either:
bash-2.04$ make test USERNAME=gnats PASSWORD=####### DATABASE=default
connect...........................................FAIL

Gnatsweb was unable to connect to the GNATS server.

There are several possible reasons for this.  Start off by checking
that the USERNAME, PASSWORD and DATABASE parameters you supplied are
valid.  If they are, there may be a problem in the configuration of
your GNATS server.  Check your GNATS installation, particularly the
host access files (remember that the web server needs access to the
GNATS server), then run the tests again.

--------------------------------------

the web interface returns:
Return code: 422 - Access denied (login again & check usercode/password)

(notice: no login box at all only the world 'Login' and the error msg
above)
--------------------------------------

i use the follwing version of gnatsweb (included in gnats 401 beta tar
file)

(from ident *)

gnatsweb.pl:
     $Id: gnatsweb.pl,v 1.87 2001/12/12 14:10:56 yngves Exp $
     $Revision: 1.87 $
     $pr: $

gnatsweb-site-example.pl:
     $Id: gnatsweb-site-example.pl,v 1.6 2001/10/17 21:25:38 yngves Exp $

gnatsweb-site.pl:
     $Id: gnatsweb-site.pl,v 1.3 2001/10/17 21:25:38 yngves Exp $

Makefile:
     $Id: Makefile,v 1.9 2001/10/17 21:25:38 yngves Exp $

test.pl:
     $Id: test.pl,v 1.7 2001/10/17 21:25:38 yngves Exp $

any help would be apreciated.

Regards,
		ben-

  __ _ _ __  _   _
 / _` | '_ \| | | |
| (_| | | | | |_| |
 \__, |_| |_|\__,_|
 |___/

http:/www.gnu.org/
http://www.osdn.com/
http://www.kernel.org/
 _ _
| (_)_ __  _   ___  __
| | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /
|_|_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\

* Re: gnats 4.0.1 beta ok but no acces with
@ 2002-05-15 10:03         ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2002-05-15 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bciceron; +Cc: help-gnats

    b> i wonder if this is a database name issue (name is 'null' below)
    b> or a database access issue.  i'm confident of the access config
    b> fileS after reading the doc though.

It looks like your gnatsd.host_access file is invalid.  I suggest to put
at least the following line in it:

  *:none:

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
Wasting somebody else's time strikes me as the height of rudeness.
						      Bill Gates