* What is the pronounciation of GNATS ?
@ 2002-03-15  4:36 Noritoshi Demizu
From: Noritoshi Demizu @ 2002-03-15  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

Hi,

My name is Noritoshi Demizu.  I have written a Japanese CGI for GNATS
3.x and I am writing another Japanese CGI for GNATS 3.999.1.  Both CGIs
are written for the company I am working for.

The CGI users often ask me a question: "How do I pronounce GNATS?"
But I do not know the correct answer..

So, How can I pronounce "GNATS?"  Should I pronounce "G" ?

Sorry for my newbie quetion.  Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Noritoshi Demizu

* Re: What is the pronounciation of GNATS ?
@ 2002-04-26 11:34 ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2002-04-26 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noritoshi Demizu; +Cc: help-gnats

    ND> So, How can I pronounce "GNATS?"  Should I pronounce "G" ?

I'd like to know too!

There is the following note about GNATS pronunciation in one of its
scripts:

  # This file is part of GNU GNATS.
  # (GNNOUUUUUUUUU GNATS!  GNOUUUUUUUUU GNATS!  Doesn't that have a nice
  # sound?  Especially if you say all the Gs?)

:-)

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
http://www.zamazal.org

* Re: What is the pronounciation of GNATS ?
@ 2002-04-26 21:15   ` Mel Hatzis
From: Mel Hatzis @ 2002-04-26 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Zamazal; +Cc: Noritoshi Demizu, help-gnats

Milan Zamazal wrote:

>     ND> So, How can I pronounce "GNATS?"  Should I pronounce "G" ?
>
> I'd like to know too!
>
> There is the following note about GNATS pronunciation in one of its
> scripts:
>
>   # This file is part of GNU GNATS.
>   # (GNNOUUUUUUUUU GNATS!  GNOUUUUUUUUU GNATS!  Doesn't that have a nice
>   # sound?  Especially if you say all the Gs?)
>
> :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Milan Zamazal

In case you didn't know, a gnat is a small insect. It's a valid word in the
English dictionary... see http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=gnats

Therefore, the 'G' is generally not pronounced...it's highly likely that
the name gnats was selected based on this definition and therefore, highly
likely it ought to be pronounced the same way. Of course, the original
gnats developer(s) may have thought otherwise.

Cheers,

--
Mel Hatzis
Juniper Networks, Inc.

* Re: What is the pronounciation of GNATS ?
@ 2002-04-27  0:27     ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2002-04-27  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mel Hatzis; +Cc: Milan Zamazal, Noritoshi Demizu, help-gnats

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 06:00:41PM -0700, Mel Hatzis wrote:

> Therefore, the 'G' is generally not pronounced...it's highly likely that
> the name gnats was selected based on this definition and therefore, highly
> likely it ought to be pronounced the same way. Of course, the original
> gnats developer(s) may have thought otherwise.

Unlike the insect, the 'G' is pronounced.  For an American English
speaker, "Guh-nats" is how we'd write it phonetically.  This follows
the GNU pronounciation (taken from the Flanders & Swan, "I'm A Gnu",
song I've heard).  In romaji, you'd write it 'ganatsu'.

I'm not one of the orginal developers, but I worked with all of
them back at Cygnus.  Everyone pronounced the 'G'.

But hey, there's no need to serve under the oppression of history
- if y'all would prefer a different pronounciation, go for it.  :-)

Jason

* Re: What is the pronounciation of GNATS ?
@ 2002-05-01 10:42       ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2002-05-01 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: Mel Hatzis, Noritoshi Demizu, help-gnats

    JM> Unlike the insect, the 'G' is pronounced.  For an American
    JM> English speaker, "Guh-nats" is how we'd write it phonetically.
    JM> This follows the GNU pronounciation (taken from the Flanders &
    JM> Swan, "I'm A Gnu", song I've heard).  In romaji, you'd write it
    JM> 'ganatsu'.

    JM> I'm not one of the orginal developers, but I worked with all of
    JM> them back at Cygnus.  Everyone pronounced the 'G'.

Thank you, Jason, for the explanation.  Looks like an excellent base for
a new entry in the FAQ -- anyone volunteers?  (I won't personally, I
should start bug fixing again...)

    JM> But hey, there's no need to serve under the oppression of
    JM> history - if y'all would prefer a different pronounciation, go
    JM> for it.  :-)

No way, I share the Bozo Bob's opinion about the nice sound of
"GNOUUUUUUUUU GNATS!" :-).

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
"Having GNU Emacs is like having a dragon's cave of treasures."
                                                Robert J. Chassell