* gnatsd port number
@ 2002-02-10 10:37 Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2002-02-10 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU GNATS discussion

As Hans-Albert Schneider has mentioned in his excellent FAQ document,
the port number 1529 is assigned to a component of some proprietary
software in IANA.  I'm not much familiar with Internet policies etc. so
I'd like to ask what (and whether) to do with it?

I can see basically two alternatives:

- To do nothing about it.

- To register a new port number for gnatsd in IANA.

What's preferable?

Thanks,

Milan Zamazal

--
SomeProgrammersLikeWritingLikeThis.However,IDontThinkThisFormOfCommunicationIs\
AGoodIdea.IApologizeToAllWhoCantReadMyTextsWrittenInAClassicStyle.

* Re: gnatsd port number
@ 2002-02-10 15:27 ` Mark D. Baushke
From: Mark D. Baushke @ 2002-02-10 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Zamazal; +Cc: GNU GNATS discussion

> From: Milan Zamazal <pdm@zamazal.org>
>
> As Hans-Albert Schneider has mentioned in his excellent FAQ document,
> the port number 1529 is assigned to a component of some proprietary
> software in IANA.  I'm not much familiar with Internet policies etc. so
> I'd like to ask what (and whether) to do with it?

Yup. Port 1529/tcp and 1529/udp is assignded as the 'coauthor' port
for Oracle.

> I can see basically two alternatives:
>
> - To do nothing about it.

As long as gnats4 is coming out, why not bring it out with a new and
officially assigned port number?

> - To register a new port number for gnatsd in IANA.

Yes, this is very easy to do.

> What's preferable?

Register a new port.

  http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/usr-port-number.pl

anything in the range 1024 thru 49151 should be fine...
It should not be that hard to come up with the

In the course of writing the application, it would mean that we could also
have a nice concise gnatsd protocol document. Once that descripts
the client-server commands like:

    ADMV            APPN            AUTH            CHDB
    CHEK            DBDESC          DBLS            DELETE
    EDIT            EDITADDR        EXPR            FDSC
    FIELDFLAGS      FTYP            FVLD            HELP
    INPUTDEFAULT    LIST            LKDB            LOCK
    QFMT            QUER            QUIT            REPL
    RSET            SUBM            UNDB            USER
    VFLD

(plus any of the others I have forgotten to list)
so that anyone who desire may easily write a new client for their
environment if they so desire.

        Enjoy!
        -- Mark

| We need at least the following information, which is for our
| internal use only.
|
|     Your Name:
|
|     Your E-mail:
|
|   1.What is the protocol-number between the user machine and the
|     server machine?

TCP

|   2.What message formats are used?
|     [The sequence of fields in a message. For example, length,
|     opcode, argument, filename, null.]
|

|   3.What message types are used?
|     [The kinds of messages in the protocol. For example, request,
|     reply, cancel, interrupt.]
|

|   4.What message op codes are used?
|     [The operation codes in the protocol. For example, read, write,
|     delete, restore.]
|

|   5.What message sequences are used?
|     [The allowed sequences of messages. For example, a client sends a
|     request and must wait for a reply from the server, except it can
|     send a cancel.]
|

|   6.What functions are performed by this protocol?
|

|   7.Is either broadcast or multicast used?
|      Yes No

NO.

|     If yes, how and what for?

N/A.

|   8.Please give us a technical description of your proposed use of
|     the user port number. (At least 2 paragraphs)
|

|   9.What is the proposed name of the user port number? (For example:
|     Example User Port)
|

|  10.What SHORT name (14 CHARACTER MAXIMUM) do you want associated
|     with this port number?  (For example: example-port)

* Re: gnatsd port number
@ 2002-02-17  2:23   ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2002-02-17  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark D. Baushke; +Cc: GNU GNATS discussion

    MDB> As long as gnats4 is coming out, why not bring it out with a
    MDB> new and officially assigned port number?

The only (but considerable) reasons are backward compatibility and
possible confusion.

    >> - To register a new port number for gnatsd in IANA.

    MDB> Yes, this is very easy to do.

OK, thanks, Mark, for the information.

    >> What's preferable?

    MDB> Register a new port.

    MDB>   http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/usr-port-number.pl

    MDB> anything in the range 1024 thru 49151 should be fine...  It
    MDB> should not be that hard to come up with the

    MDB> In the course of writing the application, it would mean that we
    MDB> could also have a nice concise gnatsd protocol document. Once
    MDB> that descripts the client-server commands like:

Since nobody has objected yet about the possible port number change, it
might not be so troublesome for users.  If we want to change it, we
should do it before GNATS 4.0 is released, since all the 3.113 clients
must be upgraded for 4.0 anyway, thus the port number change would be
relatively transparent.

Are there any suggestions about the new port number?  I can bring the
first ones: 4628 or 46287 (phone code of "GNAT(S)", they were both free
some time ago).

Would someone like to volunteer to fill in the questionnaire and
register the new port if we decide so?

    MDB> | 10.What SHORT name (14 CHARACTER MAXIMUM) do you want
    MDB> associated with this port number?  (For example:
    MDB> example-port)

`support'

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
It's amazing how much better you feel once you've given up hope.
                                                (unknown source)