* Announcing gnatsweb 2.8.1
@ 2001-06-04 13:04 Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-06-04 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel, gnats-announce, bug-gnats

A new release of Gnatsweb is available for download.

The version number is 2.8.1, and as can be surmised from the small
increase, this is a minor bug-fix release. The bugs fixed shouldn't affect
too many people, but for those affected, the problems are serious enough.

Gnatsweb 2.x won't work with the upcoming Gnats 4. Versions working with
Gnats 4 will have version numbers starting with a '4'. Patches and
contributions for version 2.x are still welcome, even though no further
releases are currently planned.

The Gnatsweb 2.8.1 distribution (59 kB) will be available from ftp.gnu.org
in a short while. However, it is available immediately at
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gnats/contrib/gnatsweb-2.8.1.tar.gz

This site is very hard to get into, though, so I have set up an HTTP mirror at
http://www.yngve.com/gnatsweb/gnatsweb-2.8.1.tar.gz

This is the entry for 2.8.1 in the NEWS file of the distribution:

Current Version: 2.8.1
See the file ChangeLog for the details of all changes.

Changes from 2.8.0 to 2.8.1
* Redirect after submitting edits wasn't working on systems with a
   new CGI.pm. This has been fixed.
* We now let people search for PRs with category 'pending'.
* We no longer by default require JavaScript for the main menu to
   work.
* The INSTALL file now makes it abundantly clear that you need a
   gnats-db.conf file even if you have only a single database.

Yngve Svendsen
Gnatsweb maintainer

* Re: Announcing gnatsweb 2.8.1
@ 2001-06-07  4:51 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2001-06-07  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yngve Svendsen; +Cc: gnats-devel

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Yngve Svendsen wrote:
> The version number is 2.8.1, and as can be surmised from the small
> increase, this is a minor bug-fix release. The bugs fixed shouldn't affect
> too many people, but for those affected, the problems are serious enough.

Thanks for the quick update!

I already installed the new version on gcc.gnu.org, and everything
seems to work fine. (After all, it seems that this *is* a good testing
environment that we have! ;-) )

> * Redirect after submitting edits wasn't working on systems with a
>    new CGI.pm. This has been fixed.
> * We now let people search for PRs with category 'pending'.
> * We no longer by default require JavaScript for the main menu to
>    work.

Excellent, all of these!

Thanks,
Gerald

* gnatsd: Could not resolve database alias? (and suggestions)
@ 2001-06-07  7:38   ` nick
From: nick @ 2001-06-07  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel

I get this error when trying to run gnatsweb:

"Error: Could not resolve database alias (Brainstorm)."

I had gnats/gnatsweb working just 2 weeks ago on another machine, but
now have reinstalled it with "--with-gnats-root=/home/gnats/gnats-db".
Could this be the difference?  I can't think what else it could be.

The pulldown database widget on the gnatsweb login page is empty, yet I
can do this fine:

gnats> cat /tmp/bugpr | queue-pr -q
gnats> queue-pr --run

The config file is setup with our database name "Brainstorm" obviously.

It sounds like a gnatsweb error, but the message is coming from the
gnats code itself.  Any help appreciated.

Also, a couple of suggestions:

1) It doesn't make sense to me for the file generated by mkcat
(Brianstorm in our case) to be in <prefix>/share/gnats rather than
<GNATS_ROOT>/gnats-db...

2) I found Gnats didn't work when I had a space in the category or
submitter ID - it would be good if we could use real product and company
names as the submitter IDs instead of names with underscores.

Otherwise keep up the good work - I'm looking forward to gnats4!

nick

* Re: gnatsd: Could not resolve database alias? (and suggestions)
@ 2001-06-07  7:49     ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-06-07  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nick, gnats-devel

At 15:38 07.06.01 +0100, nick@brainstorm.co.uk wrote:
>I get this error when trying to run gnatsweb:
>
>"Error: Could not resolve database alias (Brainstorm)."
>
>I had gnats/gnatsweb working just 2 weeks ago on another machine, but
>now have reinstalled it with "--with-gnats-root=/home/gnats/gnats-db".
>Could this be the difference?  I can't think what else it could be.
>
>The pulldown database widget on the gnatsweb login page is empty, yet I
>can do this fine:
>
>gnats> cat /tmp/bugpr | queue-pr -q
>gnats> queue-pr --run
>
>The config file is setup with our database name "Brainstorm" obviously.

Are you 100% sure that your /etc/gnats-db.conf file contains the line
/home/gnats/gnats-db:Brainstorm

If you have this line, try changing 'Brainstorm' to 'brainstorm' and see if
that makes a difference (it shouldn't, but you never know)

>It sounds like a gnatsweb error, but the message is coming from the
>gnats code itself.  Any help appreciated.
>
>Also, a couple of suggestions:
>
>1) It doesn't make sense to me for the file generated by mkcat
>(Brianstorm in our case) to be in <prefix>/share/gnats rather than
><GNATS_ROOT>/gnats-db...

No, probably not. This is different in version4, though, where category
directories are created on-the-fly as needed.

>2) I found Gnats didn't work when I had a space in the category or
>submitter ID - it would be good if we could use real product and company
>names as the submitter IDs instead of names with underscores.

This suggestion makes sense. Version 4 might allow spaces, but I haven't
tested it.

>Otherwise keep up the good work - I'm looking forward to gnats4!

Thanks.

Yngve Svendsen
Gnatsweb maintainer

* Re: gnatsd: Could not resolve database alias? (and suggestions)
@ 2001-06-07  8:00       ` nick
From: nick @ 2001-06-07  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel

> Are you 100% sure that your /etc/gnats-db.conf file contains the line
> /home/gnats/gnats-db:Brainstorm

Nope :)  That worked.  I didn't even know about /etc/gnats-db.conf and
didn't see it in the online documentation.

Thanks!

@ 2001-06-07  8:04         ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-06-07  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nick, gnats-devel

At 15:59 07.06.01 +0100, nick@brainstorm.co.uk wrote:
> > Are you 100% sure that your /etc/gnats-db.conf file contains the line
> > /home/gnats/gnats-db:Brainstorm
>
>Nope :)  That worked.  I didn't even know about /etc/gnats-db.conf and
>didn't see it in the online documentation.

Yes, this is not documented very well. Multiple-database support, together
with the gnats-db.conf file was introduced into GNATS only a few versions
ago, and I don't think much work has been done on the manual since then. I
have however tried to be very clear about the necessity of having a
gnats-db.conf file, even when you have only a single database, in the
INSTALL file of the very recently released version 2.8.1 version of Gnatsweb.

- Yngve

* gnatsweb plans?
@ 2001-06-11  4:54       ` nick
From: nick @ 2001-06-11  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel

Are there plans for gnatsweb to use gnatsd for problem submission?  Is
this possible with the gnatsd of v4.0?

Thanks, nick.

* Re: gnatsweb plans?
@ 2001-06-11 13:35         ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2001-06-11 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nick, gnats-devel

At 12:53 11.06.2001 +0100, nick@brainstorm.co.uk wrote:
>Are there plans for gnatsweb to use gnatsd for problem submission?  Is
>this possible with the gnatsd of v4.0?

Yes, that is indeed what Gnatsweb for GNATS 4 does. By default, all of
Gnatsweb's communication with GNATS 4 is done directly with gnatsd.

Yngve Svendsen
Gnatsweb maintainer