* Re: getting gnats
@ 2000-03-23 14:24 Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-03-23 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raym; +Cc: gnats-devel, Jim Kingdon

Raymond Marshall wrote:

> If gnats is under the GPL, why can I get to its FTP site without an
> account and password?

It is not.

You are probably using Internet Explorer, maybe version five.  It
misinterprets the message "Maximum number of anonftp users reached,
here is a list of mirrors" and instead prompts you to enter a
password/login name without any hint as to what the problem was.

I'd fix this if it was fixable, but it isn't.  IE is a decent
browser (better than the competition, anyway) but it really loses
here and there isn't much that can be done from our side.

Jason

* Re: getting gnats
@ 2000-03-24  3:27 ` Raymond Marshall
From: Raymond Marshall @ 2000-03-24  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Molenda; +Cc: gnats-devel, Jim Kingdon

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Jason wrote:

> Raymond Marshall wrote:
>
> > If gnats is under the GPL, why can I get to its FTP site without an
> > account and password?
>
> It is not.
>
> You are probably using Internet Explorer, maybe version five.  It
> misinterprets the message "Maximum number of anonftp users reached,
> here is a list of mirrors" and instead prompts you to enter a
> password/login name without any hint as to what the problem was.

I use netscape 4.7 on Solaris.  From home (where I use the same version,
but on Linux), I did get the maximum number error, but it also said the
password was wrong.  Curious.

Furthermore, using ncftp to ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gnats/index.html
gave me a bad password message, too.

From home I did finally get into your home page, and from there I clecked
on "GNATS 3.113 released" which took me to
	ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gnats/snapshots/index.html
from which I was able to download a copy.  (Interesting address :-)

/  Ray
-------------------------------------------+----------------+-------------
NORTEL Networks                            |  ESN 352-4731  |  RTP, NC
Product Web Enablement                     |  919-992-4731

* Re: getting gnats
@ 2000-03-23 12:35 ` Ronald J. Kimball
From: Ronald J. Kimball @ 2000-03-23 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raymond Marshall, gnats-devel

At 03:19 PM 3/23/00 -0500, Raymond Marshall wrote:
>If gnats is under the GPL, why can I get to its FTP site without an
>account and password?

Admittedly, I'm not an expert on the GPL, but I don't understand the
question.  Why would you expect the GPL to require an account and password?
 (The P is for Public, after all.)

Ronald

* RE: getting gnats
@ 2000-03-23 12:35 Paul Traina
From: Paul Traina @ 2000-03-23 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Raymond Marshall', gnats-devel

Ray,

Because you and your company have automatically agreed to be fully bound by
all terms of the GPL by  connecting to said FTP site.

Please send your 10% revenue tithe to:  GPL redemption fees
					385 Ravendale Dr.
					Mountain View, CA 94403

Thanks,

Paul

If gnats is under the GPL, why can I get to its FTP site without an
account and password?

/  Ray
NORTEL Networks                            |  ESN 352-4731  |  RTP, NC
Product Web Enablement                     |  919-992-4731

* getting gnats
@ 2000-03-23 12:25 Raymond Marshall