* newbie questions
@ 2000-04-24 15:50 Lee Bradshaw
From: Lee Bradshaw @ 2000-04-24 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel

Hi,

Is there are archive or FAQ available? I tried the ezmlm commands listed
on my subscription reply, but gnats-devel-info and gnats-devel-faq
don't seem to be returning anything useful right now. I could retrieve
an index of the list, but a browsable archive would be nicer if it's
available.

I'm trying to set up a bug tracking system for a chip design project.
I modified the classes file to add "verilog" and "system" classes for
problems with the verilog and matlab/C code. My changes show up in the
tkgnats interface but not with send-pr.

I then tried modifying the init_classes function in files.c. That didn't
work either, the classes info seems to be hard coded in more files.

Has anyone gone through the process of adding new classes? Can you tell
me how hard it was? Is there a newer version of gnats I should try
(I'm using 3.113)? I saw some mention of 4.0 in an index of the list I
retrieved.

Thanks,
Lee

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com

* Re: newbie questions
@ 2000-04-24 16:43 ` Rick Macdonald
From: Rick Macdonald @ 2000-04-24 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Bradshaw; +Cc: gnats-devel

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Lee Bradshaw wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a bug tracking system for a chip design project.
> I modified the classes file to add "verilog" and "system" classes for
> problems with the verilog and matlab/C code. My changes show up in the
> tkgnats interface but not with send-pr.

Ha! I didn't realize that send-pr didn't support configured classes and
states. I've never used send-pr. If you need send-pr, you either fix it
yourself or try to go with the alpha/beta v4. I would guess that send-pr
in v4 is fixed.

...RickM...

* Re: newbie questions
@ 2000-04-25 12:41   ` Lee Bradshaw
From: Lee Bradshaw @ 2000-04-25 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 05:36:48PM -0600, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Lee Bradshaw wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to set up a bug tracking system for a chip design project.
> > I modified the classes file to add "verilog" and "system" classes for
> > problems with the verilog and matlab/C code. My changes show up in the
> > tkgnats interface but not with send-pr.
>
> Ha! I didn't realize that send-pr didn't support configured classes and
> states. I've never used send-pr. If you need send-pr, you either fix it
> yourself or try to go with the alpha/beta v4. I would guess that send-pr
> in v4 is fixed.

Thanks Rick,

I think tkgnats or gnatsweb will be the most used interfaces. I'm going
to try to stick with 3.113 until I find a problem I can't solve.

1. tkgnats question

When I select File/New Problem Report in tkgnats, I hear a beep and
see a a new window with the following title:

  TkGnats - Create/Query Problem Reports - unknown-addr

Where does unknown-addr come from? It doesn't show up when I grep all
the files in the gnats-adm directory. Any problem reports I create
show up as failed deliveries in my inbox because unknown-addr isn't a
valid address. I suppose I could make it an alias, but I'd rather
understand the configuration.

2. gnatsweb question

I think I have the web interface working:

  freefall ~ $ telnet localhost support
  Trying 127.0.0.1...
  Connected to localhost.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  200 freefall GNATS server 3.113 ready.
  QUIT

The test.pl code passed after I installed the perl mime modules, but I
don't know how to use gnatsweb. I feel like I should be able to enter
a URL into a browser, but what is that URL?

Thanks again,
Lee

--

@ 2000-04-25 14:17     ` Rick Macdonald
From: Rick Macdonald @ 2000-04-25 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Bradshaw; +Cc: gnats-devel

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Lee Bradshaw wrote:

> Thanks Rick,
>
> I think tkgnats or gnatsweb will be the most used interfaces. I'm going
> to try to stick with 3.113 until I find a problem I can't solve.
>
> 1. tkgnats question
>
> When I select File/New Problem Report in tkgnats, I hear a beep and
> see a a new window with the following title:
>
>   TkGnats - Create/Query Problem Reports - unknown-addr
>
> Where does unknown-addr come from? It doesn't show up when I grep all
> the files in the gnats-adm directory. Any problem reports I create
> show up as failed deliveries in my inbox because unknown-addr isn't a
> valid address. I suppose I could make it an alias, but I'd rather
> understand the configuration.

I don't know who is setting the string unknown-addr either, but the value
that I use is the GNATS_ADDR from the gnats_adm/config file that TkGnats
retrieves from the gnats sedrver through gnatsd. Check that file and set
GNATS_ADDR if it's missing.

> 2. gnatsweb question
>
> I think I have the web interface working:
>
>   freefall ~ $ telnet localhost support
>   Trying 127.0.0.1...
>   Connected to localhost.
>   Escape character is '^]'.
>   200 freefall GNATS server 3.113 ready.
>   QUIT
>
> The test.pl code passed after I installed the perl mime modules, but I
> don't know how to use gnatsweb. I feel like I should be able to enter
> a URL into a browser, but what is that URL?

I'd say the location of the perl script, such as:

http://intranet/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl

...RickM...

* Re: newbie questions
@ 2000-04-25 15:15       ` Lee Bradshaw
From: Lee Bradshaw @ 2000-04-25 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Macdonald; +Cc: gnats-devel

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 03:12:22PM -0600, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> I don't know who is setting the string unknown-addr either, but the value
> that I use is the GNATS_ADDR from the gnats_adm/config file that TkGnats
> retrieves from the gnats sedrver through gnatsd. Check that file and set
> GNATS_ADDR if it's missing.

gnatsweb seems to work so I tried grabbing the info from the gnatsd
daemon:

  freefall ~ $ telnet localhost support
  Trying 127.0.0.1...
  Connected to localhost.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  200 freefall GNATS server 3.113 ready.
  LCFG
  220 List follows.
  GNATS_ADDR="bugs"
  GNATS_USER="gnats"
  GNATS_ADMIN="gnats-admin"
  GNATS_SITE="sectionIV"
  SUBMITTER="sectionIV"
  DEFAULT_RELEASE="1.0"
  DEFAULT_ORGANIZATION="sectionIV"
  NOTIFY=1
  ACKNOWLEDGE=1
  DEFAULT_SUBMITTER="test"
  KEEP_RECEIVED_HEADERS=1
  BDAY_START=8
  BDAY_END=17
  BWEEK_START=1
  BWEEK_END=5
  DEBUG_MODE=0
  .

bugs is an email alias:
  freefall ~ $ grep bugs /etc/aliases
  bugs:           "| /usr/lib/gnats/queue-pr -q"

Should this work with tkgnats?

> I'd say the location of the perl script, such as:
>
> http://intranet/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl

Thanks, that works. I was using the full path to cgi-bin. I'm an chip
designer who is trying to find an alternative to an MS Access database
that one of our sites is using. Gnats seems to fit my flow (unix/linux
systems) much better and the web and tk interfaces should be
acceptable to the windows users.

--

@ 2000-04-25 15:20         ` Rick Macdonald
From: Rick Macdonald @ 2000-04-25 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Bradshaw; +Cc: gnats-devel

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Lee Bradshaw wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 03:12:22PM -0600, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> > I don't know who is setting the string unknown-addr either, but the value
> > that I use is the GNATS_ADDR from the gnats_adm/config file that TkGnats
> > retrieves from the gnats sedrver through gnatsd. Check that file and set
> > GNATS_ADDR if it's missing.

>   freefall ~ $ telnet localhost support
>   Trying 127.0.0.1...
>   Connected to localhost.
>   Escape character is '^]'.
>   200 freefall GNATS server 3.113 ready.
>   LCFG
>   220 List follows.
>   GNATS_ADDR="bugs"
>   GNATS_USER="gnats"

When you open the NewPr window, click Help/ViewConfigVariables and send me
the contents of that help window.

...RickM...