* Submitting PR's 'closed' or with predetermined closing time.
@ 2000-05-11 11:54 Pekka Savola
From: Pekka Savola @ 2000-05-11 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel

Hello all,

I think this feature might be useful in environments where many
administrators file "for-inform" informational PR's in the database.

Is it possible to file new PR's as 'closed'?  At least Gnatsweb doesn't
support this.  The reason?  Because this is informational (of which some
are there for archival purposes only), it might not make sense having to
remember to close the PR and thus sending excess messages to all
concerning parties.

Another interesting feature might be a PR that would automatically close
or change state without sending those informational emails.  This way,
some new announcement would show in open reports for a while, and after
some time (when people have probably seen it), it would be silently
archived.

Am I alone here?  Have I missed something?

Just some ideas :)

--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi          not those you stumble over and fall"

* Re: Submitting PR's 'closed' or with predetermined closing time.
@ 2000-05-12  6:40 ` Rick Macdonald
From: Rick Macdonald @ 2000-05-12  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pekka Savola; +Cc: gnats-devel

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Pekka Savola wrote:

> I think this feature might be useful in environments where many
> administrators file "for-inform" informational PR's in the database.
>
> Is it possible to file new PR's as 'closed'?  At least Gnatsweb doesn't
> support this.  The reason?  Because this is informational (of which some
> are there for archival purposes only), it might not make sense having to
> remember to close the PR and thus sending excess messages to all
> concerning parties.

This was always mostly in the gnats core, I think, but 10 months ago I
fixed up a couple of details and we use it all the time with TkGnats for
exactly the same reason.

I _think_ gnatsweb would present the state field in the sendpr form by
simply setting the "show-in-send-pr-form-please" flag (don't have the name
handy), but there may be more to it that this.

> Another interesting feature might be a PR that would automatically close
> or change state without sending those informational emails.  This way,
> some new announcement would show in open reports for a while, and after
> some time (when people have probably seen it), it would be silently
> archived.

I have a state of "purge", which has state class of "closed". I never
wrote the script yet, but the intention is to a have a script that deltes
from the gnats database all PRs with a state of purge that have been
closed longer than some number of days.

Built-in generic support for such features would be interesting, as you
say. Perhaps in V4 some day...

...RickM...