* How to add a field to the Gnats Data Base?
@ 2000-05-10 17:08 Steve Kelem
From: Steve Kelem @ 2000-05-10 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel

How hard is it to add a field to the Gnats data base?
I need to add a field "By When?" that takes a date.
This will allow us to categorize each PR for when we intend to
fix/respond to them, and then concentrate on the PRs for a certain
release date.

Thanks for your help,
Steve Kelem

* Re: How to add a field to the Gnats Data Base?
@ 2000-05-11  5:43 ` Rick Macdonald
From: Rick Macdonald @ 2000-05-11  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Kelem; +Cc: gnats-devel

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Steve Kelem wrote:

> How hard is it to add a field to the Gnats data base?
> I need to add a field "By When?" that takes a date.
> This will allow us to categorize each PR for when we intend to
> fix/respond to them, and then concentrate on the PRs for a certain
> release date.

In GNATS 3.113, this already exists if you build it --with-release-based.
The field is supported by TkGnats, I assume but don't know for sure that
gnatsweb does as well, but you'll have to check.

I think all you need to do after rebuilding gnats is to run "gen-index" to
build a new index with the three new fields that you get
--with-release-based. With TkGnats, you can "hide" the other two if you
don't want them (Keywords and Quarter).

In V4, you can add and subtract whatever you want!

...RickM...

* Re: How to add a field to the Gnats Data Base?
@ 2000-05-11 11:06   ` Steve Kelem
From: Steve Kelem @ 2000-05-11 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Macdonald, gnats-devel

Thanks for your help!  There doesn't seem to be any documentation on the
release-based fields (like what type of values they take, and whether there
are any restrictions on the values). gnatsweb-2.7beta seems to know the fields
might be in the data base, but doesn't seem to do anything with them.

Steve

@ 2000-05-12  5:25     ` Rick Macdonald
From: Rick Macdonald @ 2000-05-12  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Kelem; +Cc: gnats-devel

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Steve Kelem wrote:

> Thanks for your help!  There doesn't seem to be any documentation on the
> release-based fields (like what type of values they take, and whether there
> are any restrictions on the values). gnatsweb-2.7beta seems to know the fields
> might be in the data base, but doesn't seem to do anything with them.

Date-Required is recognized as a date, Keywords and Quarter are text
fields like Originator or Synopsis.

...RickM...

* Re: How to add a field to the Gnats Data Base?
@ 2000-05-18 16:44       ` Steve Kelem
From: Steve Kelem @ 2000-05-18 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Macdonald; +Cc: gnats-devel

Is there any guidance for how the Keywords and Quarter fields should be used?
What was the intention?  Are they user-defined fields, and we can put whatever we
want there?

Thanks,
Steve

@ 2000-05-19  6:05         ` Rick Macdonald
From: Rick Macdonald @ 2000-05-19  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Kelem; +Cc: gnats-devel

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Steve Kelem wrote:

> Is there any guidance for how the Keywords and Quarter fields should be used?
> What was the intention?  Are they user-defined fields, and we can put whatever we
> want there?

Put whatever single line of text you like. The intention I believe was
that Quarter was the number 1, 2, 3 or 4 indicating what billing quarter
the fix was required for, and Keywords was probably some extra
classification beyond what you might squeeze out of category and class.

...RickM...