* How to spawn gnatsd without using inetd?
@ 2000-08-11  6:43 Carl-Johan Sveningsson
From: Carl-Johan Sveningsson @ 2000-08-11  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnats-devel; +Cc: Lars-Erik Stacke

Hi developers.

I have a problem. The enterprice is running a NIS, and therefore probably
/etc/services isn't read. inetd can't find support/tcp, and therefore 1529
remains closed and inaccessible.

This is bad.

Though, some way, gnatsd should be spawnable manually so it opens up for
outside calls? -n? Documentation on invoking gnatsd is very poor, so I
turn to you. Could you help me you think?

That would be good.

Thank you.

/Carl-Johan Sveningsson

--

"...you look strong enough to pull the ears off a Gundark."

           ICQ# 2357535
         http://come.to/woc/
       http://wlug.westbo.se/

* Re: How to spawn gnatsd without using inetd?
@ 2000-08-11 15:17 ` Rick Macdonald
From: Rick Macdonald @ 2000-08-11 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl-Johan Sveningsson; +Cc: gnats-devel, Lars-Erik Stacke

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Carl-Johan Sveningsson wrote:

> Hi developers.
>
> I have a problem. The enterprice is running a NIS, and therefore probably
> /etc/services isn't read. inetd can't find support/tcp, and therefore 1529
> remains closed and inaccessible.
>
> This is bad.
>
> Though, some way, gnatsd should be spawnable manually so it opens up for
> outside calls? -n? Documentation on invoking gnatsd is very poor, so I
> turn to you. Could you help me you think?

It seems to me you can do one of these:

1)  add support/tcp etc to NIS.

2)  if you can't do #1, but have root access to the machine running
    gnatsd:

    set /etc/nsswitch.conf "services: files nis" and then put
    support/tcp into /etc/services.

...RickM...