* gsl-1.0: bug in configure is still there
@ 2001-11-16  9:18     ` Peter Breitenlohner
From: Peter Breitenlohner @ 2001-11-16  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss; +Cc: Brian Gough

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Brian Gough wrote:

> Peter Breitenlohner writes:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I just fetched and compiled gsl-0.9; in order to run
>  > 'make install-strip' I had to apply the attached patch.
>  > This is actually an autoconf-2.13 problem, that has been fixed
>  > in autoconf-2.50.
>
> Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

Unfortunately the same problem persists in gsl-1.0 (as it was in Versions
0.9.2 and 0.9.3).

PLEASE replace the (by now obsolete) autoconf-2.13 by a newer version for
the next gsl distribution!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter Breitenlohner <peb@mppmu.mpg.de>

* Re: gsl-1.0: bug in configure is still there
@ 2001-11-16 15:49       ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2001-11-16 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Breitenlohner; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Peter Breitenlohner writes:

 > Unfortunately the same problem persists in gsl-1.0 (as it was in Versions
 > 0.9.2 and 0.9.3).
 >
 > PLEASE replace the (by now obsolete) autoconf-2.13 by a newer version for
 > the next gsl distribution!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Autoconf 2.5x is not yet ready for production use, in my opinion, so
any upgrade is on hold.

Make install-strip works fine on GNU systems, but if it's a problem
for you just compile without -g or strip the two executables manually
in the meantime.

regards
Brian Gough

* gsl-1.0: bug in configure is still there
@ 2001-12-19 13:20   ` Peter Breitenlohner
From: Peter Breitenlohner @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss; +Cc: Brian Gough

@ 2001-12-19 13:20     ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Breitenlohner; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Peter Breitenlohner writes:

 > Unfortunately the same problem persists in gsl-1.0 (as it was in Versions
 > 0.9.2 and 0.9.3).
 >
 > PLEASE replace the (by now obsolete) autoconf-2.13 by a newer version for
 > the next gsl distribution!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Autoconf 2.5x is not yet ready for production use, in my opinion, so
any upgrade is on hold.

Make install-strip works fine on GNU systems, but if it's a problem
for you just compile without -g or strip the two executables manually
in the meantime.

regards
Brian Gough

* Re: gsl-0.9: bug in configure (autoconf)
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Breitenlohner; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Peter Breitenlohner writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I just fetched and compiled gsl-0.9; in order to run
 > 'make install-strip' I had to apply the attached patch.
 > This is actually an autoconf-2.13 problem, that has been fixed
 > in autoconf-2.50.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

One thing to be careful of when using 'strip', mentioned in the
gsl/MACHINES file

  Attempts to run 'strip' on the static library libgsl.a may produce a
  broken library (it is known to happen with GNU binutils strip, and
  probably affects others too). The libgsl.a ar archive made by libtool
  contains files with the same filenames from different directories, and
  this causes the strip program to overwrite these archive entries.  If
  you need to produce a compact version of the library compile without
  -g instead of using strip.

I don't know whether this still happens in recent versions of
binutils.

From: Peter Breitenlohner @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Gough; +Cc: gsl-discuss

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Brian Gough wrote:

> Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.
>
> One thing to be careful of when using 'strip', mentioned in the
> gsl/MACHINES file
> I don't know whether this still happens in recent versions of
> binutils.

Hi Brian,

Yes, I was aware of the remark in gsl-x.y/MACHINES and I don't know either what
the current status of this is. The proper way to fix this would certainly be
to have unique basenames for all files in the archive!

As far as I can see libtool-libraries (static or shared) are, however, never
stripped and I usually don't strip any shared objects; 'install-strip' only
applies to the two binary executables.

Another point:
can we expect a more complete info-page for the ODEs in the near future?
Currently (gsl-0.[789]) this just list the function prototypes but doesn't
say how to use them. That one has to deduce (to some extent) from their
use in the test suite.

From: Brian Gough @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Breitenlohner; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Peter Breitenlohner writes:
 > can we expect a more complete info-page for the ODEs in the near future?
 > Currently (gsl-0.[789]) this just list the function prototypes but doesn't
 > say how to use them. That one has to deduce (to some extent) from their
 > use in the test suite.

Does your 0.9 info file include the Van der Pol oscillator example?
Just trying to see if we are looking at the same file here, as the
chapter was rewritten for 0.9, while 0.7 and 0.8 were indeed just a
list of prototypes.  If there are complaints about the new file I can
add a bit more to it.