* Mutivariate Regression (GSL Topic: "Fitting")
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

I just started using GSL and wonder if it is possible to allow for a constant
in the multifit function?

The following would also be nice additions to the multifit function suite
(see MS Excel regression output for example):

1. Produce the correlation coefficient (r) and other statistics.
2. Allow fit variable weighting (not observation weighting).
3. Allow for principal factor computations.

Thanks for a great product!

Tom Browder

* Re: Mutivariate Regression (GSL Topic: "Fitting")
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Browder; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Tom Browder writes:
 > I just started using GSL and wonder if it is possible to allow for
 > a constant in the multifit function?

It should be possible. For gsl_multifit_linear use a column of 1's in
the matrix 'X'.  For the non-linear case it should work the same as
other parameters.  If it does not work let us know.

 >  The following would also be nice additions to the multifit
 > function suite (see MS Excel regression output for example):
 >  1. Produce the correlation coefficient (r) and other statistics.
 > 2. Allow fit variable weighting (not observation weighting).
 > 3. Allow for principal factor computations.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add them to the TODO file in case
anyone wants to work on them.

regards
Brian Gough

From: Tom Browder @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Brian, thanks.  I already tried the column of ones, and didn't
look at the output too closely, but the results didn't seem
correct.  I'll try another case and compare the output with Excel.

I'll report results.

Tom Browder