* RE: Multi dimension minimization
@ 2001-12-19 13:20   ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J.J. Gomez Cadenas; +Cc: Emmanuel Chomarat, gsl-discuss

J.J. Gomez Cadenas writes:
 > Hi,
 > Multidimensional minimization whithout derivates = Simplex algorithm. In
 > fact I use the simplex often even if I know the derivatives of the function.
 >
 > It's a very simple algorithm. You can find the code in NR. I have my own
 > implementatin in C++ in case you want it.
 >
 > As a matter of fact if it is not included in the GSL I would volunteer to
 > contribute with the code (I can write easily a C version)

Yes, that would be useful if you can plug it into the existing
frameworks for minimization/fitting.

* RE: Multi dimension minimization
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 ` J.J. Gomez Cadenas

From: Brian Gough @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emmanuel Chomarat; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Emmanuel Chomarat writes:

 >   Hello, I try to make an app that find the max of the
 >   (log)likelihood of data that ( a sum of 75000terms =
 >   5parameters*15000datas). I can't(don't) want to use the
 >   derivates, how can i do? Does anyone have something to do it in a
 >   box?  Does anyone heard about something in other numerical lib(
 >   numerical recipes have but i'm not sure to be able to use it, if
 >   someone have an sample).  Thx for your help.

The existing routines in GSL all use derivatives.  There is an
interface for minimization and fitting without derivatives but there
are no actual implementations yet.

 >   Furthermore, i wrote some mails about how to compile on win32
 >   under borland env.  I think i succeeded ( i will write a little
 >   mail with the procedure) and i have to test the libs, does anyone
 >   have a prog that make a lot of usage of GSL funcs.

The test programs can be compiled outside the build tree.