* gsl optimization routines
@ 2001-11-14  5:34 ` Dan, Ho-Jin
From: Dan, Ho-Jin @ 2001-11-14  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hi there,
I installed the gsl library and found that there are missing features of
the optimization, i.e.,
It can't handle the constraints. So I carefully consider filling the
missing routines such as
SQP, the method of the feasible directions etc. If there are not on
going project on optimization
I will start hack the code. But I can't guarantee the efficieny and
robustness of the algoritm at the first time.
moreover, my english is poor so that the manual from the work must be
reviewed by someone else.
Is there any suggestion ?

* Re: gsl optimization routines
@ 2001-11-15  7:13   ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2001-11-15  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan, Ho-Jin; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Dan, Ho-Jin writes:
 > Hi there, I installed the gsl library and found that there are
 > missing features of the optimization, i.e., It can't handle the
 > constraints. So I carefully consider filling the missing routines
 > such as SQP, the method of the feasible directions etc. If there
 > are not on going project on optimization I will start hack the
 > code. But I can't guarantee the efficieny and robustness of the
 > algoritm at the first time.  moreover, my english is poor so that
 > the manual from the work must be reviewed by someone else.  Is
 > there any suggestion ?

Hi,

Thanks for the messsage.  I'm not aware of anyone else working on
constrained optimisation so you're welcome to work on that.  We can
sort out any documentation problems.

An important step is to see if there is an interface which can support
a large class of algorithms as in the multifit/ and multmin/
directories.  I wrote some notes in the document doc/gsl-design.texi
which might be helpful there.

best regards,

Brian Gough

* Re: gsl optimization routines
@ 2001-11-15 16:26     ` Dan, Ho-Jin
From: Dan, Ho-Jin @ 2001-11-15 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Okay, I'll figure out the gsl stucture, check reusable functions and survey
recently published papers. First of all, nonlinear programming(NP) will
be focused on with a dense storage(small to medium size problems), and,
if needed, linear programming(LP) will be implemented. actually, I am
not interested in LP since the research area of mine is the structural
optimization.

sincerely yours

@ 2001-11-16  2:00       ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2001-11-16  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan, Ho-Jin; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Dan, Ho-Jin writes:
 > Okay, I'll figure out the gsl stucture, check reusable functions and survey
 > recently published papers. First of all, nonlinear programming(NP) will
 > be focused on with a dense storage(small to medium size problems), and,
 > if needed, linear programming(LP) will be implemented. actually, I am
 > not interested in LP since the research area of mine is the structural
 > optimization.

Yes, routines for nonlinear programming are needed.  For linear
programming there is an excellent GNU package already called GLPK (GNU
Linear Programming Kit) written by Andrew Makhorin which people can
use.

Brian

* Re: gsl optimization routines
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 ` Brian Gough