* GSL and MinGW with the GCC 4.4.0
@ 2009-06-23 21:37 Massimo Gaspari
From: Massimo Gaspari @ 2009-06-23 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Dear all,

Platform : Windows XP Sp3 , MinGW latest binutils,make,runtime GCC 4.4.0

MinGW team has just release and official version of the new GCC compiler
(4.4.0). I used it to compile (./configure --disable-shared) GSL 1.12 .
Using CFLAGS = -fexception the checking (make check) completed successfully.

But using optimization (CFLAGS = -O2 -fexceptions) the testing fails at
(first error)

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Massimo/gsl-1.12/integration'
make  check-TESTS
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/Massimo/gsl-1.12/integration'
FAIL: qawc(f459) elist (1.8329242496630777e-015 observed vs
1.8330829482071535e-015 expected) [744]
FAIL: test.exe

I compiled the source code for GSL 1.12 successfully (well, disregarding
the well known montecarlo optimizer bug) with GCC 3.4.5 and GCC 4.2.1.
So it seems a new bug of the new GCC compiler (optimizer) in MinGW. I
don't know if the same bug is also present in other platforms.

I also tested the TDM GCC 4.4.0 (R2 available at
http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/ )  and I got the same failure using
optimization.

Is there a way to complete testing instead of stopping at first error?

Hop this helps.

* Re: GSL and MinGW with the GCC 4.4.0
@ 2009-06-24  9:50 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2009-06-24  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Massimo Gaspari; +Cc: gsl-discuss

At Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:37:10 +0200,
Massimo Gaspari wrote:

> Is there a way to complete testing instead of stopping at first error?

Use "make -k check" to continue running the remaining tests in the
event of failures. To see the complete output, set the environment
variable GSL_TEST_VERBOSE=1.

--
Brian Gough

Network Theory Ltd,
Publishing Free Software Manuals --- http://www.network-theory.co.uk/

* Re: GSL and MinGW with the GCC 4.4.0
@ 2009-06-24 20:32   ` Massimo Gaspari
From: Massimo Gaspari @ 2009-06-24 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Brian Gough wrote:
> At Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:37:10 +0200,
> Massimo Gaspari wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to complete testing instead of stopping at first error?
>>

> Use "make -k check" to continue running the remaining tests in the
> event of failures. To see the complete output, set the environment
> variable GSL_TEST_VERBOSE=1.

Thanks for the info. So I had the old bug in montecarlo (vegas)  plus
the new one in the integration routines. Using -ffloat-store both of
them disappear as usual.

Max