* Library for FT alpha-Stable ch.f. (fwd)
@ 2008-07-02 17:56 James Theiler
From: James Theiler @ 2008-07-02 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Hi Jean,
  thank you for your inquiry; i did not write the Levy code in GSL,
but i am forwarding your email to the GSL discussion list in case
others have opinions or suggestions.

regards,
jt

--
James Theiler
MS-B244, ISR-2, LANL; Los Alamos, NM 87544

From: Brian Gough @ 2008-07-03 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jhu_80; +Cc: gsl-discuss

At Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:55:32 -0600 (MDT),
James Theiler wrote:
> I reading thru the source code for the Levy library written for GNU.  The statistical model that we are studying is like alpha-stable as only the ch.f. is in closed form.  It will be presented this autumn in Melbourne, AU.
>
> Have you already considered using Fast Fourier transform for the Fourier transform integral?
> p(x) dx = (1/(2 pi)) \int dt exp(- it x - |c t|^alpha)
> If so, was the Frequency Sampling Technique applied in FFT/IFFT adaptive to the alpha parameter for faster computation?  Or was there a bound placed on alpha to imply out Nyquist frequency for your IFFT/FFT?  I look forward to your input.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

The FFT method was too complicated for our needs as a general purpose
library so I did not look at it.  We only provide cumulative
distribution functions when they are available in closed form.

--
Brian Gough