* Find non-trivial solution
@ 2006-08-07  7:35 wwfarch
From: wwfarch @ 2006-08-07  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

I'm having an issue with GSL and solving homogeneous systems. In
particular I have an equation of the form:

Av = 0

where A is an Nx6 matrix, v is a vector (size 6) and 0 represents a zero
vector.

Regardless of N when I solve for v I always get the trivial solution (v
= 0). Is there a way to force GSL to provide a non-trivial solution?
Once I have a non-trivial solution I can scale as I need to for my
application. As a note, when N>6 I solve with a least squares solution.
I've tried QR and SVD decompositions.

Thanks,
Matthew Parent

* Re: Find non-trivial solution
@ 2006-08-08 17:16 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2006-08-08 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wwfarch; +Cc: gsl-discuss

At Thu, 03 Aug 2006 14:43:49 -0400,
wwfarch@rochester.rr.com wrote:
> I'm having an issue with GSL and solving homogeneous systems. In
> particular I have an equation of the form: Av = 0 where A is an Nx6
> matrix, v is a vector (size 6) and 0 represents a zero vector.
>
> Regardless of N when I solve for v I always get the trivial solution (v
> = 0). Is there a way to force GSL to provide a non-trivial solution?
> Once I have a non-trivial solution I can scale as I need to for my
> application. As a note, when N>6 I solve with a least squares solution.
> I've tried QR and SVD decompositions.

Hello,
The _solve functions do back-substitution so will always give v=0 for
a zero rhs. If you want to find the null space of A, use the SVD to
get a basis for it from the columns of V corresponding to the zero
singular values.

--
Brian Gough

Network Theory Ltd,