* Re: Comments on auto* macros
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hans.plesser; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Hans Ekkehard Plesser writes:
 > But I must admit that (as an auto* layman), I am still quite confused
 > after reading these pages.  E.g., I just spent some half hour to find
 > out that the AM_PATH_GSL test has to come before the AC_LANG_CPLUSPLUS
 > switch, because the c++ compiler otherwise complains about an implicit
 > cast in line 74 of gsl.m4.  The same seems to hold for the inline
 > tests.  Is this ordering of tests absolutely trivial for anyone
 > experienced with autoconf?  If not, could you include a hint in the
 > documentation?

I think the macros had only been used with a C compiler not C++, so
that problem hadn't been encountered before.  I'll add that to the
documentation.

regards
Brian Gough

* Re: Comments on auto* macros
@ 2001-12-19 13:20   ` Christopher R. Gabriel
From: Christopher R. Gabriel @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss; +Cc: hans.plesser

    >> But I must admit that (as an auto* layman), I am still quite
    >> confused after reading these pages.  E.g., I just spent some
    >> half hour to find out that the AM_PATH_GSL test has to come
    >> before the AC_LANG_CPLUSPLUS switch, because the c++ compiler
    >> otherwise complains about an implicit cast in line 74 of
    >> gsl.m4.  The same seems to hold for the inline tests.  Is this
    >> ordering of tests absolutely trivial for anyone experienced
    >> with autoconf?  If not, could you include a hint in the
    >> documentation?

    Brian> I think the macros had only been used with a C compiler not
    Brian> C++, so that problem hadn't been encountered before.  I'll
    Brian> add that to the documentation.

Yep, sorry for that. I've wrote the AM_PATH_GSL using just a C
compiler, never tried with a C++. Sorry if my documentation patch
wasn't complete enough.

Regards,

--
Christopher