From: Alexis Tantet <alexis.tantet@gmail.com>
To: Patrick Alken <alken@colorado.edu>
Cc: gsl-discuss@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Sparse matrix extension
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 19:55:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the quick reply! I wanted to be sure that this contribution
is useful before to spend time on the merging with the latest version.
I will create the gsl.git repository and work on it during the week.

I had already had a look at the documentation but did not know about
the iterative solvers (a link between each modules would be useful).
My contribution indeed fits in the sparse matrix module + the update
of the dgemm and dgemv functions to support CRS (an update may also be
needed for the solvers).

I have also developed a simple C++ object allowing to use gsl_spmatrix
as a user-defined matrix in ARPACK++ (a maintained fork of ARPACK++
can be found at https://github.com/m-reuter/arpackpp), allowing to
avoid having to use other libraries such as superLU. It could be
useful to others, maybe as an extension. Now that I think about it,
the iterative solvers could also be used to support the shift and
invert modes (see ARPACK++ documentation). What do you think (I could
work on it)?

If you have major comments, the sooner the better, so that I can work
on them while merging.

Thank you for your interest,
Alexis

--