* Re: Gsl Perl Module
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 ` Jarle Brinchmann
From: Jarle Brinchmann @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Eddelbuettel; +Cc: jonathan, gsl-discuss

Dirk Eddelbuettel writes:

 > > I attempted to write a Perl module to interface to GSL, but I came up
 > > quite short. This was my first XS experience, and GSL is quite a large
 > > library. Currently the module has a non-OO interface to the special
 >
 > There is/was a Perl Data Language (PDL) interface to GSL. AFAICR it
 > focussed on the probability distributions. Try a search for PDL::GSL,
 > maybe you can re-use some of that code.

As Dirk says, there is a PDL interface to the probability
distributions in PDL. I have also started on a more general PDL
interface to the GSL library and started with the special functions. I
can more-or-less do what you want (or could at some point :), but this
summer I am too busy with other stuff so I can't do much more.

If this is of interest I can send you the current stuff, but be warned
that it is focussed on automatically generating interfaces between PDL
and GSL...

			Jarle.

* Re: Gsl Perl Module
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 ` Jonathan Leto
From: Jonathan Leto @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Eddelbuettel; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Yes, I have looked at that source code, but it was PDL-specific and I was
trying to make an interface that did not require PDL. It was also written
directly for xsubpp ( for performance? ), and I am trying to get along with
the slim documentation for XS. I don't think I have found one resource for
writing a module directly for xsubpp.

 Dirk Eddelbuettel (edd@debian.org) was saying:

--
Jonathan Leto
jonathan@leto.net

* Re: Gsl Perl Module
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 Dirk Eddelbuettel
From: Dirk Eddelbuettel @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jonathan, gsl-discuss

From: Jonathan Leto @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

I attempted to write a Perl module to interface to GSL, but I came up
quite short. This was my first XS experience, and GSL is quite a large
library. Currently the module has a non-OO interface to the special
functions part of GSL. So you can do this:

  use Gsl;
  my $answer = Gsl::gsl_sf_gamma( $x );

But, I would like it to be something like:
  use Gsl;
  my $f = new Gsl::SpecialFunction;
  my $answer = $f->gamma($x);
  print "Answer is: " . $answer->val . "\n";
  print "Err is: " . $answer->err . "\n";

I have put it up at http://leto.net/code/gsl/ , and I would appreciate
any help or suggestions.

--