* Re: Build problem on ABM AIX + solution
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 eric.van.der.velde
From: eric.van.der.velde @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss; +Cc: bjg

Replacing the __STDC__ define by STDC_HEADERS worked for me!

Thanks for your support, Eric

This e-mail is sent for the sole attention of the identified addressee and its
contents are provided for information purposes only. Fortis Bank makes no
warranty or representation as to the accuracy and completeness of any
information and does not assume whatever commitment hereby. Legally binding
obligation can only arise for, or be entered into on behalf of, Fortis Bank by
means of a written instrument, signed by two duly authorised representatives of
Fortis Bank. Fortis Bank excludes any liability whatsoever for any direct or
consequential loss arising from the use, or reliance on, this e-mail or its
contents.

From: eric.van.der.velde @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Trying to make gsl on an IBM AIX 4.3 (xlc) system failed in the file
test/results.c (problems concerning the va_list)

The problem is that __STDC__ is not defined on an AIX system (which should
be), and the prepocessor takes the 'wrong' decision.
To solve this problem I modified the test/results file all the occurences
of

#ifdef __STDC__

#if defined(__STDC__) || defined(AIX)

Then I added -DAIX to the CFLAGS and ran ./configure again (followed by a
make)

I hope this can solve you build problems on AIX in the future

Here some info on the AIX compiler:

the IBM C compiler doesn't define __STDC__ (despite the fact
that its entirely ANSI compatible - actually it does define __STDC__ if
you put it in "strict" mode, but then it treats an allocation of an "int"
to an "unsigned int" as a severe error and stops. Thus nobody uses the
strict mode, thus __STDC__ is rarely defined. In addition it generates an
error message if you define __STDC__ manually....) Therefore could you put
in a || defined (AIX) to all your #ifdef __STDC__...?

@ 2001-12-19 13:20 ` gsl-discuss
From: gsl-discuss @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eric.van.der.velde; +Cc: gsl-discuss

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 08:36:36AM +0100, eric.van.der.velde@nl.fortisbank.com wrote:
> Trying to make gsl on an IBM AIX 4.3 (xlc) system failed in the file
> test/results.c (problems concerning the va_list)
>
> The problem is that __STDC__ is not defined on an AIX system (which should
> be), and the prepocessor takes the 'wrong' decision.
> To solve this problem I modified the test/results file all the occurences
> of
>
> #ifdef __STDC__

> #if defined(__STDC__) || defined(AIX)
>
> Then I added -DAIX to the CFLAGS and ran ./configure again (followed by a
> make)
>
> I hope this can solve you build problems on AIX in the future

Ick! Please do *not* do this. Platform-specific stuff like this is
ugly. A more proper fix should be found.

> Here some info on the AIX compiler:
>
> the IBM C compiler doesn't define __STDC__ (despite the fact
> that its entirely ANSI compatible - actually it does define __STDC__ if
> you put it in "strict" mode, but then it treats an allocation of an "int"
> to an "unsigned int" as a severe error and stops. Thus nobody uses the
> strict mode, thus __STDC__ is rarely defined. In addition it generates an
> error message if you define __STDC__ manually....) Therefore could you put
> in a || defined (AIX) to all your #ifdef __STDC__...?

I have xlc 5.0.2.0. Without *any* options, __STDC__ == 1. What do you
consider "strict" mode? -qlanglvl=ansi?

We built gsl-0.9.2 with xlc and -qlanglvl=ansi and test/results.c
compiled fine.

--
albert chin (china@thewrittenword.com)

* Re: Build problem on ABM AIX + solution
@ 2001-12-19 13:20   ` gsl-discuss
From: gsl-discuss @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss; +Cc: eric.van.der.velde

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 12:09:56PM +0100, Brian Gough wrote:
> eric.van.der.velde@nl.fortisbank.com writes:
>  > Trying to make gsl on an IBM AIX 4.3 (xlc) system failed in the file
>  > test/results.c (problems concerning the va_list)
>  >
>  > The problem is that __STDC__ is not defined on an AIX system (which should
>  > be), and the prepocessor takes the 'wrong' decision.
>
> Thanks for the bug report.
>
> Can you try this,
>
> go into test/results.c and change
>
>   __STDC__

>   STDC_HEADERS
>
> throughout (there are several occurrences).  Assuming the configure
> script has defined STDC_HEADERS correctly in config.h this should
> work.
>
> Let me know and I'll make the change.

Ick. This is not necessary. We have *no* problems with GSL 0.9.2 on
AIX 4.3.2 with xlc 5.0.2.0.

--

@ 2001-12-19 13:20 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eric.van.der.velde; +Cc: gsl-discuss

eric.van.der.velde@nl.fortisbank.com writes:
 > Trying to make gsl on an IBM AIX 4.3 (xlc) system failed in the file
 > test/results.c (problems concerning the va_list)
 >
 > The problem is that __STDC__ is not defined on an AIX system (which should
 > be), and the prepocessor takes the 'wrong' decision.

Thanks for the bug report.

Can you try this,

go into test/results.c and change

  __STDC__

  STDC_HEADERS

throughout (there are several occurrences).  Assuming the configure
script has defined STDC_HEADERS correctly in config.h this should
work.

Let me know and I'll make the change.

regards
Brian Gough

* Re: Build problem on ABM AIX + solution
@ 2001-12-19 13:20     ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss; +Cc: eric.van.der.velde

gsl-discuss@lists.thewrittenword.com writes:
 > > Let me know and I'll make the change.
 >
 > Ick. This is not necessary. We have *no* problems with GSL 0.9.2 on
 > AIX 4.3.2 with xlc 5.0.2.0.

This change is recommended in the autoconf manual so I plan to apply
it anyway, but I'd like to know if it fixes this problem (it should do
I think).

 - Macro: AC_HEADER_STDC
     Define `STDC_HEADERS' if the system has ANSI C header files.

     Use `STDC_HEADERS' instead of `__STDC__' to determine whether the
     system has ANSI-compliant header files (and probably C library
     functions) because many systems that have GCC do not have ANSI C
     header files.