* Re: GPL - GSL and derivative work.
@ 2001-12-19 13:20     ` Timothy H. Keitt
From: Timothy H. Keitt @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolai Hanssing; +Cc: gsl-discuss

These are pretty clearly spelled out at www.gnu.org.  Short answer:
LGPL, linking from closed-source OK.; GPL, you have to release the
source of the application under GPL to link with GPL library.  In any
case, the copyright holders are free to issue you an alternative license
if they so choose.

T.

--
Timothy H. Keitt
Department of Ecology and Evolution

* Nelder-Mead Simplex
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 Nicolai Hanssing
From: Nicolai Hanssing @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Are anyone working on other multidim minimisation-routines?

Otherwise, you can expect me to atleast implement SIMPLEX in
gsl_multimin_, i.e. a simple slow non-gradient solver.  Comments are
welcome.

Regards
	Nicolai Hanssing
	Denmark

* GPL - GSL and derivative work.
@ 2001-12-19 13:20   ` Nicolai Hanssing
From: Nicolai Hanssing @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

[...]

* Re: Nelder-Mead Simplex
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 ` Brian Gough
From: Brian Gough @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolai Hanssing; +Cc: gsl-discuss

Nicolai Hanssing writes:
 > Are anyone working on other multidim minimisation-routines?

No, I don't think so.

 > Otherwise, you can expect me to atleast implement SIMPLEX in
 > gsl_multimin_, i.e. a simple slow non-gradient solver.  Comments are
 > welcome.

Cool.

Make sure you can release it under the GPL (for example, don't copy
from Numerical Recipes).

The GSL 'coding standards' are in doc/gsl-design.texi.

* Re: GPL - GSL and derivative work.
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 Edwin Robert Tisdale
From: Edwin Robert Tisdale @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Mark Galassi wrote:

> There is a discussion of these issues on the GNU web pages
> which matches what I say
> and is a legal opinion backed by the FSF's legal counsel.
>
> If another identical API exists then you have a grey area.
> People have done the trick (in other software)
> of writing a low-quality compatible API
> that was public domain instead of GPL'd

Yes.  The worst tricksters are the FSF and the GNU project.
The GSL is, at best, simply another implementation of
the Basic Linear Algebra Subprogram (BLAS) library,
The Linear Algebra PACKage (LAPACK) and Numerical Recipes in C.

You can't force anyone to distribute the source code
for their application programs
simply because it uses the same API as the GSL.
If you could, then proprietary library vendors could require
a royalty from every program that used their API
even if it was linked to a GPL'd implementation.

> Regarding your comments on the use of the GPL instead of the LGPL,
> we are a GNU project and there are very clear reasons
> for the GNU project to promote using the GPL
> instead of the Lesser GPL for almost all libraries.
> See:
>
> 	http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html

There are better reasons to promote the LGPL instead of the GPL
for numerical libraries like the GSL.
But applying the GPL instead of the LGPL
is just one of the reasons why the GSL is doomed.
The GPL unnecessarily encumbers the GSL.
It does not make the GSL or applications that use it more free.

I believe that you mean well Mark but your attitude
is one of the worst enemies of free software.

From: Edwin Robert Tisdale @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Mark Galassi wrote:

> On this list, I simply want to assure anyone that
> if your software can only work with GSL
> then your software is subject to the relevant parts of the GPL.

Nonsense!

The GPL applies only if you distribute your software
any only if you distribute the GPL'd library (GSL) with it.
You cannot copyright the GSL API.
Anybody can implement the GSL API.
The Free Software Foundation and the GNU project
exist, in part, because they have succeeded
in re-implementing existing APIs.
If it was possible to copyright an API,
there would be no FSF or GNU project.
The FSF would only undermine it's own right
to implement and distribute software using existing APIs
if it were to take other programmers to court
simply for using the GSL API.

Applying the GPL to a library like the GSL
is simply an attempt to stifle competition
in just the way that Microsoft attempts
to stifle competition.

From: Edwin Robert Tisdale @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Timothy H. Keitt wrote:

> These are pretty clearly spelled out at www.gnu.org.
> Short answer: LGPL, linking from closed-source OK.;
> GPL, you have to release the source of the application
> under the GPL to link with a GPL'd library.

The GPL only prevents you from distributing the GPL'd library
without distributing the application source code.
You can distribute the application object code
without the application source code without violating the GPL
and let users link it into the GPL'd library themselves.
I don't think that there is any practical way for the FSF
or the library developers to prevent users from doing this.

From: Edwin Robert Tisdale @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Mark Galassi wrote:

> Once you reimplement GSL, you can say that
> the software does not depend on GSL for its functioning.
>
> But until you do, if you distribute software and say,
> "This will only work with GSL
>  because no other implementation of that API exists."
> then you have a derivative work.

Suppose that the court agrees with you, counselor,
then someone reimplements the GSL API.
Would we still have a derivative work?
Would other applications using the GSL API
but written after the GSL API was reimplemented
then also be derivative work?

* Re: GPL - GSL and derivative work.
@ 2001-12-19 13:20 ` Mark Galassi
From: Mark Galassi @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

    >> On this list, I simply want to assure anyone that if your
    >> software can only work with GSL then your software is subject
    >> to the relevant parts of the GPL.

    Edwin> The GPL applies only if you distribute your software any
    Edwin> only if you distribute the GPL'd library (GSL) with it.

Of course: I said that you are subject to the relevant parts of the
GPL, so it only applies if you distribute your software.

    Edwin> You cannot copyright the GSL API.  Anybody can implement
    Edwin> the GSL API.

Of course, and once you reimplement GSL then you can say that the

@ 2001-12-19 13:20 ` Steve ROBBINS
From: Steve ROBBINS @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edwin Robert Tisdale; +Cc: gsl-discuss

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 07:55:50AM -0700, Edwin Robert Tisdale wrote:
> Timothy H. Keitt wrote:
>
> > These are pretty clearly spelled out at www.gnu.org.
> > Short answer: LGPL, linking from closed-source OK.;
> > GPL, you have to release the source of the application
> > under the GPL to link with a GPL'd library.
>
> The GPL only prevents you from distributing the GPL'd library
> without distributing the application source code.
> You can distribute the application object code
> without the application source code without violating the GPL
> and let users link it into the GPL'd library themselves.

This is not true.  If your application requires the GPL'd library
it is to be considered a "derived work" of the library, and all
sources must be shipped with a binary.  This is pretty clearly
laid out in the text of the GPL, and the GNU web site has further
disucssions.  In particular, see

  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

If you intend to split legal hairs about what constitutes
a "derived work", that is a discussion I do not want to have.
Try the newsgroup gnu.misc.discuss.

> I don't think that there is any practical way for the FSF
> or the library developers to prevent users from doing this.

Well, the practicality is a separate question.  ;-)
But it is beyond question that this is not what authors of
GPL'd libraries *intend*.

-Steve

From: Mark Galassi @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

    Edwin> Yes.  The worst tricksters are the FSF and the GNU project.

This is a GNU project mailing list, so such comments are quite
inappropriate.  Please stop making them.  There are other places for
it.

From: Edwin Robert Tisdale @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

Mark Galassi wrote:

> E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
>
> > You can distribute the application object code
> > without the application source code without violating the GPL
> > and let users link it into the GPL'd library themselves.
>
> Someone else has pointed it out but let me repeat that
> the above paragraph is completely wrong.
>
> If the GNU Scientific Library is *required*
> for your program to function,
> then your program is a "derivative work"
> and must be distributed as spelled out by the GPL
> (the easiest way is to put your program under the GPL)
> even if you don't ship a binary that is statically linked
> to the GNU Scientific Library.
>
> If the GNU Scientific Library is just one of many libraries
> with identical APIs, then you might have other options.
>
> > I don't think that there is any practical way for the FSF
> > or the library developers to prevent users from doing this.
>
> Breaking the law is breaking the law
> even if it is difficult to get caught.
> Breaking the law to exploit people's volunteer work
> and not return to the free software community
> counts as unethical in my book.
>
> All things considered, trying to "work around" the GPL is dumb.
> People could try a copernican-style shift in their thinking:
> the GPL is a powerful tool
> and people should look at the "derived work" clause
> as an opportunity to try a licensing model
> that they would have ignored otherwise and
> that might actually work much better for them.

Your personal sense of "justice"
is not an adequate substitute for law.

An application program does not "require" the GSL
just because it uses the same API.
I don't think that you can copyright an API.
Anyone could implement the GSL API
without infringing on the GSL copyright.

The GSL developers can't make law
by simply including the a GPL notice
or expressing the authors' "intent".
Law is made when the license is challenged in court
and the court decides how the copyright law
and the licensing agreement is to be interpreted.
I don't believe that has happened yet in this case.

In my opinion, the GSL developers made a poor choice
when they decided to use the GPL instead of the LGPL
and I would have no sympathy for them
if some application developer decided to work around it.
On the other hand, I believe that the GSL is a poor choice
for any application development let alone commercial applications
and I would have no sympathy for any application developer
who used the GSL.

From: Mark Galassi @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

    Edwin> An application program does not "require" the GSL just
    Edwin> because it uses the same API.  I don't think that you can
    Edwin> copyright an API.  Anyone could implement the GSL API
    Edwin> without infringing on the GSL copyright.

There is a discussion of these issues on the GNU web pages which
matches what I say and is a legal opinion backed by the FSF's legal
counsel.

If another identical API exists then you have a grey area.  People
have done the trick (in other software) of writing a low-quality
compatible API that was public domain instead of GPLed

From: Mark Galassi @ 2001-12-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GSL discussion list