From: "Robert G. Brown" <rgb@phy.duke.edu>
To: James Amundson <amundson@fnal.gov>
Cc: gsl-discuss@sourceware.org, Brian Gough <bjg@gnu.org>,
	 Gerard Jungman <jungman@lanl.gov>
Subject: Re: using GSL with C++ (was Re: gsl container designs)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:42:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, James Amundson wrote:

> On 12/04/2009 12:36 PM, Brian Gough wrote:
>> At Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:54:46 -0700,
>> Gerard Jungman wrote:
>>
>>> Here are header files for a couple different approaches to containers.
>> Regarding the introductory points.
>>
>> 2a+b) While we may have had some kind of goal of supporting C++ I
>> don't think it's worth encouraging that today as the gap between the
>> languages has widened so much since the start of the project.
>>

> I, for one, use GSL almost exclusively from C++. When I'm not using C++, I am
> usually using Python. How are other readers of this list using GSL? Are you
> using a pure C environment, or do you use C++ and/or other languages?
>
> I have no interest in debating the relative merits of various languages; I am
> just curious to know what is happening in practice.

I use C only.  Consequently I come down in favor of using casts to type
e.g. generalized tensor forms, because pointer-based indirection can
lead to reasonably efficient, highly readable code (and because the GSL
really needs a generalized tensor form -- the computational universe of
interest to many scientists is not just one or two dimensional,
rectangular, with indices starting at 0 or 1.

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@phy.duke.edu