public inbox for guile-gtk@sourceware.org
* Pixmaps
@ 1999-12-14  8:05 Alex Stark
From: Alex Stark @ 1999-12-14  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-gtk

Hi,

This is FYI.

The most serious gap in guile-gtk found so far when translating the
tutorials (14/42 done) is the lack of support for coded-in xpms.

By this I mean C code like
/* XPM data of Open-File icon */
static const char * xpm_data[] = {
"16 16 3 1",
"       c None",
".      c #000000000000",
"X      c #FFFFFFFFFFFF",
"                ",
"   ......       ",
"   .XXX.X.      ",

and use of gdk_pixmap_create_from_xpm_d().  Also, there isn't a direct
equivalent to the simple pixmap file part of the buttons example.

Alex

PS The tutorial examples are available from:
http://www.niss.org/~stark/software/gg-tutorial.tar.gz
and the file PROGRESS therein gives a list of issues with guile-gtk.

* Re: Pixmaps
@ 1999-12-15  4:03 ` Daniel Skarda
From: Daniel Skarda @ 1999-12-15  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-gtk

> The most serious gap in guile-gtk found so far when translating the
> tutorials (14/42 done) is the lack of support for coded-in xpms.

 Similar gap is in guileGL - there is still no way how to specify textures. IMHO
 in Guile there should be one standard way how to access images. To specify
 texture in OpenGL means just to pass pointer to some area in memory - so this
 can be realized in guileGL bindings by (uniform) arrays. But in my opinion it
 is ugly to specify pictures in guile-gtk in one way and in bindings for another
 library in completely different way....

 Any proposals for "(define-module (graphics images))" ???

Dan Skarda

* Re: Pixmaps
@ 1999-12-15  6:22   ` Alex Stark
From: Alex Stark @ 1999-12-15  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Skarda; +Cc: guile-gtk

Daniel Skarda wrote:

>  Any proposals for "(define-module (graphics images))" ???

BTW

I don't know the state of things, but there are people working on
numerical applications in guile, specifically looking at arrays.

A key challenge in those cases is for guile to get different foreign
libraries to use the same arrays, each optionally with additional data
associated with them, and notifying one library of changes made in
another.

Alex.