public inbox for guile-gtk@sourceware.org
* gtk-text-insert freeze with gtk-1.3
@ 2000-04-11  3:10 Ole Myren Rohne
From: Ole Myren Rohne @ 2000-04-11  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-gtk

The following code makes guile-gtk freeze. Why would I want to write
such a thing? - it is the essentials of gtk-show-error:-( causing my
program to freeze at every scheme error.

(use-modules (gtk gtk) (gtk gdk))
(let* ((w (gtk-window-new 'toplevel))
       (h (gtk-hbox-new #f 1))
       (t (gtk-text-new #f #f))
       (s (gtk-vscrollbar-new (gtk-text-vadj t))))
  (gtk-container-add w h)
  (gtk-box-pack-start h t #t #t 0)
  (gtk-box-pack-start h s #t #t 0)
  (gtk-widget-show-all w)
  (gtk-text-insert t #f #f #f "Hello\n" -1))

The program hangs in gdk_event_get_graphics_expose, waiting for an
*GraphicsExpose* event on the text widget (!) - which never comes. I
think this is a bug in gtk and it should be reproducible in pure C.

Making gdk_event_get_graphics_expose accept *Expose* events seems to
fix the problem, another fix would be to add a function
gdk_event_get_expose to be called on text widgets.

	Regards,
	Ole

* Re: gtk-text-insert freeze with gtk-1.3
@ 2000-04-11  4:59 ` Ole Myren Rohne
From: Ole Myren Rohne @ 2000-04-11  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-gtk

Ole Myren Rohne <ole.rohne@cern.ch> writes:

> Making gdk_event_get_graphics_expose accept *Expose* events seems to
> fix the problem, another fix would be to add a function
> gdk_event_get_expose to be called on text widgets.

That fix turned out to be a no-fix:-( Currently, I am experimenting with
XCheckIfEvent instead of XIfEvent in gdk_event_get_graphics_expose to
allow it to return if no GraphicsExpose events are waiting.

@ 2000-04-11 23:56 ` Ole Myren Rohne
From: Ole Myren Rohne @ 2000-04-11 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ole Myren Rohne; +Cc: guile-gtk

Ole Myren Rohne <ole.rohne@cern.ch> writes:

> The program hangs in gdk_event_get_graphics_expose, waiting for an
> *GraphicsExpose* event on the text widget (!) - which never comes. I
> think this is a bug in gtk and it should be reproducible in pure C.

I'm luckier than that: gtk+/gtk/testgtk freezes in the same place on
the text test. Thus, the problem is totally unrelated to guile. I'll
send a bug report and sorry about the noise on this list.

@ 2000-04-12 12:09   ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2000-04-12 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ole Myren Rohne; +Cc: guile-gtk

Ole Myren Rohne <ole.rohne@cern.ch> writes:

> I'm luckier than that: gtk+/gtk/testgtk freezes in the same place on
> the text test. Thus, the problem is totally unrelated to guile. I'll
> send a bug report and sorry about the noise on this list.

Great! Thanks.