public inbox for guile-gtk@sourceware.org
* gtk questions
@ 2001-04-24  1:50 David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2001-04-24  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-gtk

Hello,

1.

I need but am unable to use the following function, not knowing what its
last argument should be?

anyone knows? [I tried to pass a string vector but that was not
right, and if it was correct, what should its length be anyway?]

2.

is there a way to query a clist to know what row is selected?

	for example, a clist with 2 columns and 2 rows in it

	a. the user select the first row ('browse is the selection type)
	b. he then click the second column (title), which changes the sorting
	   (with an appropriate callback on column titles ...)

	c. i'd like to query the clist to know the selected row position
           after the clist reordering

3.

is there a possibility to have a column title composed of a pixmap and a label?

thanks,
david

* Re: gtk questions
@ 2001-04-24 18:14 ` Ariel Rios
From: Ariel Rios @ 2001-04-24 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: guile-gtk

El 24 Apr 2001 11:53:39 +0200, David Pirotte escribió:
sorry for the delay..

> 1.
>
> I need but am unable to use the following function, not knowing what its
> last argument should be?

> anyone knows? [I tried to pass a string vector but that was not
> right, and if it was correct, what should its length be anyway?]
This function is really bad defined. It is a Gtk+ mistake.
Basically all of GtkClist is stupid anyway...
Just ignore it. It doesn't work. I once tried to use it but it does
not make sense.

What I normally do is before insertying things unto Clist I
have a variable that saves the values appended unto the list:
(gtk-clist-append clist foo)
(set! ls (cons ls foo))
It is stupid but...

> 2.
>
> is there a way to query a clist to know what row is selected?
>
>       for example, a clist with 2 columns and 2 rows in it
(gtk-signal-connect clist "select_row"
     (lambda (row col event) (whatever))
In this way you can get both the row and the column and put what you
want to do in whatever =)

> is there a possibility to have a column title composed of a pixmap and a label?
In C Gtk+ you can but looking at our defs files:
;; XXX - the following all use GdkPixmaps and GdkBitmaps rather than
;; a GtkPixmap, this sucks.

;; (define-func gtk_clist_set_pixmap)
;; (define-func gtk_clist_get_pixmap)

I will look f there is an easy way to add them.

GtkClist is really ugly and should be avoided, It will not be available in
Gtk2.0 =) IIRC

ariel

* Re: gtk questions
@ 2001-04-25 11:12   ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2001-04-25 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ariel Rios; +Cc: guile-gtk

Ariel Rios wrote:

> El 24 Apr 2001 11:53:39 +0200, David Pirotte escribió:
> sorry for the delay.

Well, many many thanks for your time and answer! it is already
fantastic to get some!

> What I normally do is before insertying things unto Clist I
> have a variable that saves the values appended unto the list:
> (gtk-clist-append clist foo)
> (set! ls (cons ls foo))
> It is stupid but...

Yes, I understand: the thing is I'll have to keep several sequences
(list or vectors) of sorted rows according to the different possibilities
that I give to users to select what columns they can sort the displayed rows

But I'll do it, it's not a big deal.

The ideal would be to have 'goops widgets, things would be much easier to
'customise. I suppose it is the plan to have gtk integrated with goops at some
time in the future

> ;; (define-func gtk_clist_set_pixmap)
> ;; (define-func gtk_clist_get_pixmap)
>
> I will look f there is an easy way to add them.

It's not so important, you probably have many other priorities, many thanks
again

> GtkClist is really ugly and should be avoided, It will not be available in
> Gtk2.0 =) IIRC

that skares me, because I started developping my applications using clist
whenever I want to display database things (extracted from postgres thanks to
guile-pg), ...

what should I use instead? they seems very fast and  I doubt until, 'goops-gtk
is there, I can do better by mixing other widgets by myself ...

I agree they are very ugly: until we can pass them a sequence of goops objects,
with apropriate display funtion for each column to be displayed ... any such
things available?

david

* Re: gtk questions
@ 2001-04-25 19:51     ` Ariel Rios