public inbox for guile-gtk@sourceware.org
* More build errors.
@ 2000-11-30 12:41 Dale P. Smith
From: Dale P. Smith @ 2000-11-30 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-gtk

Hmm.  I'm getting different errors with ./autogen.sh now:

GNOME_COMMON_INIT: not found
./configure: 1560: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
make: *** [config.status] Error 2
dsmith@sammy:~/src/guile-gtk$ ./autogen.sh
.: gnome-autogen.sh: not found

I don't have any gnome development stuff installed.  I'm pretty sure I
don't have any gnome software installed.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys that like a thin fast system, no kde or
gnome for me! ;^)

-Dale

--
Dale P. Smith
Altus Technologies Corp.

* Re: More build errors.
@ 2000-11-30 13:45 ` Martin Baulig
From: Martin Baulig @ 2000-11-30 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dale P. Smith; +Cc: guile-gtk

"Dale P. Smith" <dpsm@en.com> writes:

> Hmm.  I'm getting different errors with ./autogen.sh now:
>
> GNOME_COMMON_INIT: not found
> ./configure: 1560: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
> make: *** [config.status] Error 2
> dsmith@sammy:~/src/guile-gtk$ ./autogen.sh
> .: gnome-autogen.sh: not found
>
> I don't have any gnome development stuff installed.  I'm pretty sure I
> don't have any gnome software installed.

Hi,

you need to install gnome-common and the latest version of pkg-config (from
http://pkgconfig.sourceforge.net/ ) to make this work.

> Yeah, I'm one of those guys that like a thin fast system, no kde or
> gnome for me! ;^)

Btw. gnome-common is just a set of macros and build scripts, it has no other
dependencies except pkg-config.

--
Martin Baulig
martin@gnome.org (private)

* Re: More build errors.
@ 2000-12-11 15:26   ` Dale P. Smith
From: Dale P. Smith @ 2000-12-11 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Baulig; +Cc: guile-gtk

Martin Baulig wrote:

> "Dale P. Smith" <dpsm@en.com> writes:
>
> > Hmm.  I'm getting different errors with ./autogen.sh now:
> >
> > GNOME_COMMON_INIT: not found
> > ./configure: 1560: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
> > make: *** [config.status] Error 2
> > dsmith@sammy:~/src/guile-gtk$ ./autogen.sh
> > .: gnome-autogen.sh: not found
> >
> > I don't have any gnome development stuff installed.  I'm pretty sure I
> > don't have any gnome software installed.
>
> Hi,
>
> you need to install gnome-common and the latest version of pkg-config (from
> http://pkgconfig.sourceforge.net/ ) to make this work.

Well, I finally built and installed gnome-common and pkg-config. These
are the errors I'm getting now:

**Warning**: I am going to run `configure' with no arguments.
If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
`./autogen.sh' command line.

processing ./examples
[lot's o stuff deleted]
updating cache ./config.cache
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking for pkg-config... yes
checking for GNOME Platform... GNOME 1.x
checking for libraries... gtk+ (gthread)
configure: error: gnome-config: not found
Package gthread was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gthread.pc'
Unknown package 'gthread'

Looks like I need "gnome-config" also.

> > Yeah, I'm one of those guys that like a thin fast system, no kde or
> > gnome for me! ;^)
>
> Btw. gnome-common is just a set of macros and build scripts, it has no other
> dependencies except pkg-config.

Is gnome-config part of that, or are more bits of gnome needed to be
installed?

-Dale
--
Dale P. Smith
Altus Technologies Corporation

* Re: More build errors.
@ 2000-12-12  0:27     ` Martin Baulig
From: Martin Baulig @ 2000-12-12  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dale P. Smith; +Cc: guile-gtk

"Dale P. Smith" <dpsm@en.com> writes:

> processing ./examples
> [lot's o stuff deleted]
> updating cache ./config.cache
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
> checking for pkg-config... yes
> checking for GNOME Platform... GNOME 1.x
> checking for libraries... gtk+ (gthread)
> configure: error: gnome-config: not found
> Package gthread was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gthread.pc'
> Unknown package 'gthread'
>

> Looks like I need "gnome-config" also.

Hi,

gnome-config is part of gnome-libs, but you only get this "dependency" because
there's a bug in glib which is already fixed in CVS, but not in the last glib
release.

So at the moment, you need the latest stable glib from CVS - I'll try to make
a patch against glib 1.2.8 this weekend. Basically all you need are the .pc.in
files from glib, but you also need to patch Makefile.am / configure.in to
create the .pc files from them.

> > > Yeah, I'm one of those guys that like a thin fast system, no kde or
> > > gnome for me! ;^)
> >
> > Btw. gnome-common is just a set of macros and build scripts, it has no other
> > dependencies except pkg-config.
>
> Is gnome-config part of that, or are more bits of gnome needed to be
> installed?

Well, normally pkg-config uses a .pc file which is installed by a package. If
it cannot find such a .pc file, it falls back to using gnome-config (which
comes with gnome-libs).

Unfortunately I realized too late that glib only has such .pc files in the
latest stable CVS version, but not in 1.2.8 - so when the next stable glib
is released, this problem will be gone.

--
Martin Baulig
martin@gnome.org (private)

* New Gtk version? Re: More build errors.
@ 2000-12-12 12:16       ` Ariel Rios
From: Ariel Rios @ 2000-12-12 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Baulig; +Cc: Dale P. Smith, guile-gtk, otaylor

> Well, normally pkg-config uses a .pc file which is installed by a package. If
> it cannot find such a .pc file, it falls back to using gnome-config (which
> comes with gnome-libs).
>
> Unfortunately I realized too late that glib only has such .pc files in the
> latest stable CVS version, but not in 1.2.8 - so when the next stable glib
> is released, this problem will be gone.
Owen,
are you planning a new GTK version. We at gnome-guile / guile-gtk
are in need of such a new release.

ariel