public inbox for insight-prs@sourceware.org
From: kseitz@sources.redhat.com
To: insight-prs@sources.redhat.com, kseitz@sources.redhat.com,
	nobody@sources.redhat.com, research@ijs.co.nz
Subject: Re: insight/230: `Tcl_WideInt' undeclared, <tcl.h>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 01:20:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Synopsis: `Tcl_WideInt' undeclared, <tcl.h>

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->kseitz
Responsible-Changed-By: kseitz
Responsible-Changed-When: Wed Jun 18 01:20:01 2003
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    mine
State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: kseitz
State-Changed-When: Wed Jun 18 01:20:01 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Let me address the multitude of problems that I see in your bug report.

    Build failures:
    1. "the very latest mingw was used"
    Insight does NOT build with mingw. It is a cygwin application. From what I understand, Insight can debug MinGW applications, but it CANNOT be built by mingw.

    2. "when Cygwin gettext-devel was not installed"
    You simply are missing a piece of the puzzle. You also need a working compiler, assembler, perl, and a whole lot more. Note that gettext-devel is NOT required by Insight. It is required by BFD and several other patckages that Insight relies on. Without any explicit dependency tracking (like an RPM or something), there is little that I can do other than help users when these kinds of problems occur.

    3. "the g++ in gcc 3.2 was missing"
    Again, g++ is not required by insight/gdb. There is likely something else in the repository that requires it, but what that is I cannot even imagine right now...

    4."the older CVS files overwrote, and a Makefile was not edited to remove this error: 'cd: can't cd to iwidgets3.0.0/unix"
    I haven't a clue what this is right now. I'm not even sure I understand what you mean when you mention overwriting files. Are you checking the sources out or did you download a snapshot? If you checked them out, was it a clean checkout or an update? If you updated, did you use the cvs option "-P"? Did you use the "-d" option in the tcl, tk, itcl, gdb directories? Please explain a little more what you did. I have been building insight on cygwin without incident for several months now (the whole dejagnu thing excepted).

    Insight DEFINITELY works on cygwin. In fact, it is distributed as part of the cygwin gdb package. (Perhaps you are referring to 5.3, which had stability problems on cygwin, and that was not Insight, it was Tk.)

    Please explain a little more about your environment. I suspect that your mingw environment is getting in the way...

    What does config.cache say the value of "tcl_cv_type_64bit" is? What does configure say the host is?

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=insight&pr=230