public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: ARM debugging via JTAG?
@ 2002-08-12 22:49 Rafael Vuijk (aka Dark Fader)
From: Rafael Vuijk (aka Dark Fader) @ 2002-08-12 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I want to debug with cheap parallel cable too.
I've tried several small programs like arm-jtag9, but they don't work
very well.
GDB is not aware of device/code specific JTAG chains.
Therefore they write Remote Debugging Interfaces, combine it with their
own debug toolkit and ask a lot of money.
Oh well... I've gathered and made some JTAG stuff too...
http://darkfader.net/arm/#jtag
I was able to read some registers etc.. but somehow machine (GP32) reset
when exiting program.

Regards,
Rafael Vuijk (aka Dark Fader)

------------------------
original message follows
------------------------
>Hi,
>
>thanks for that hint, but it must be possible somehow to debug
>an ARM chip with a parallel port (/dev/parport*).
>
>Has anybody got some info about what's necessary to debug
>an ARM?  I took a look into gdb/rdi-share/ardi.c, hostchan.c
>and devsw.c .
>I still don't know exactly what's necessary to debug an ARM,
>has anybody got a hint or some documentation for me what's
>necessary to debug that chip?
>I once wrote some very basic code to send some commands to
>my ARMs JTAG state machine and could stop the core, but
>couldn't yet send commands to the core.
>http://www.s.netic.de/tmohr/linux.html
>

>Best regards,
>Torsten.

* Re: ARM debugging via JTAG?
@ 2002-08-14  8:15     ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2002-08-14  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Chick; +Cc: insight

Tim Chick wrote:

> It appears it will only work under Windows/Cygwin at the moment.

We have a FAQ page for Insight, but nobody ever found the time to
put the contents for it together.  BTW, it should point to a gdb
FAQ page for non-GUI issues (which may be the case here).
I am not currently aware of a GDB FAQ however.  I will ask them.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com

* RE: ARM debugging via JTAG?
@ 2002-08-14  6:58   ` Tim Chick
From: Tim Chick @ 2002-08-14  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

FYI, after much messing about I discovered the webpage:
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/multi-ice.html

This describes how to build a program which allows one to use
the ARM Multi Ice debugger with gdb/insight.

I followed the instructions and it worked first time.

It appears it will only work under Windows/Cygwin at the moment.

Is there a gdb FAQ which this could be added to?

Tim

* Re: ARM debugging via JTAG?
@ 2002-06-26 12:42   ` Torsten Mohr
From: Torsten Mohr @ 2002-06-26 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

@ 2002-06-26  9:09 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2002-06-26  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 10:28:02PM +0200, Torsten Mohr wrote:

> Does anybody know of patches for GDB that enable ARM debugging
> via JTAG over the parallel port?

I don't know of any that do JTAG directly on the parallel port.

There are several ARM JTAG interfaces that are supported by gdb:

  ARM EmbeddedICE   (uses rdi target via serial/parallel)
  EPI Jeeni         (uses rdi target via serial or Ethernet)
  ARM MultiIce      (via some server program run on Windows)
  Macraigor/OCDemon (via remote target)
  Abatron BDIxxx    (via remote target)

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* ARM debugging via JTAG?
@ 2002-06-25 13:51 Torsten Mohr
From: Torsten Mohr @ 2002-06-25 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi everybody,

i have an Atmel ARM evaluation board with an ARM7TDMI (AT91M40400).
I can download/debug programs with the Angel Debug Monitor in the boards
flash memory.  This is amazingly slow, because the serial line for
the debug connection is working with 9600 baud.

The board also has a 20 pin JTAG connection that can be used for
debugging.  I know of some debuggers that support GDB over Ethernet
and can debug this micro.  These debuggers are quite expensive.

I once started to write some very basic code to send commands to
the ARM from the parallel port to the JTAG interface of that micro,
but didn't yet get very far.

Does anybody know of patches for GDB that enable ARM debugging
via JTAG over the parallel port?

Thanks for any hints,
Torsten.