public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Insight info?
@ 2001-01-16  0:37 Raja Gobi
From: Raja Gobi @ 2001-01-16  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Folks,

    I am a complete novice in this area. I have started working
on a GDB to debug a remote target. Any advice on the following
will be greatly appreciated. I am working with Version 4.18.

    1. Is there any documentation on the overall code structure?
    2. What is the best approach to understand how all the pieces
fit together?
    3. What is a good book to read on the Tcl/Tk?
    4. How can debug remote target? I did "set remotedebug 1" in
the console window. I thought that this was supposed to display
all the serial port transactions, but I did not see any. I also did
"set serialdebug 1" and "set remotedebug 1", but these did not seem
to have any effect either.
    5. Where can I find the implementations of utilities like
print_filtered(), printf_unfiltered(), etc. in the code base?

    Pardon me for the really basic questions. Please reply to

    raja.gobi@netergynet.com.

Thank you very much,
-Raja.

* Re: Insight info?
@ 2001-01-16  8:42 ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2001-01-16  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raja Gobi; +Cc: insight

Raja Gobi wrote:

> Folks,
>
>     I am a complete novice in this area. I have started working
> on a GDB to debug a remote target. Any advice on the following
> will be greatly appreciated. I am working with Version 4.18.

4.18 is way to old.  Either base your work on the 5.0 (which is
already getting old) or use recent snapshots or even the
anonymous CVS version.

>     1. Is there any documentation on the overall code structure?

For gdb yes.  It comes with the source (the GDB Internals manual) as
the User manual does.

Nothing for the GUI part (yet).

>     2. What is the best approach to understand how all the pieces
> fit together?

Use SOurce Navigator.  It can be downloaded from the net.
Look at sources.redhat.com

>     3. What is a good book to read on the Tcl/Tk?

Welch Tcl and Tk 3/e

And the [incr Tcl/Tk] book by Smith

>     4. How can debug remote target? I did "set remotedebug 1" in
> the console window. I thought that this was supposed to display
> all the serial port transactions, but I did not see any. I also did
> "set serialdebug 1" and "set remotedebug 1", but these did not seem
> to have any effect either.

There are levels of verbosity.  Try "set remotedebug 2"
In newer releases it is "set debug remote 2".

And please, read the manuals and use the "help" command.

>     5. Where can I find the implementations of utilities like
> print_filtered(), printf_unfiltered(), etc. in the code base?

Use "grep" in your sources and you'll find them.
Your life will be considerably easier if you download and use
Source Navigator.

Good luck.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com

* Insight build HowTo
@ 2001-01-16 15:27 ` Wilson Kwan
From: Wilson Kwan @ 2001-01-16 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hello everyone,

I'm new to GDB/Insight and would like to know if anyone has written a HowTo
for building Insight on Windows NT? I installed cygwin 20.1 and unpacked
Insight 5.0. I ran ./configure and then make. After some significant time
chugging away at the build it stopped when compiling win32-nat.c complaining
that it couldn't find imagehlp.h and psapi.h.

I looked around for these files but was not able to locate them. Am I
missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Wilson

* Re: Insight build HowTo
@ 2001-01-16 15:40   ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2001-01-16 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Wilson Kwan wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to GDB/Insight and would like to know if anyone has written a HowTo
> for building Insight on Windows NT? I installed cygwin 20.1 and unpacked
> Insight 5.0. I ran ./configure and then make. After some significant time
> chugging away at the build it stopped when compiling win32-nat.c complaining
> that it couldn't find imagehlp.h and psapi.h.

The first step is to uninstall B20 and install the net release.

ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin/latest/setup.exe

Install it, then start bash. Download Insight and extract it.
Create a build dir and run the Insight configure script from
the build dir (like ../insight/configure ...).

Then type "make ; make install" and you should be done.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Insight build HowTo
@ 2001-01-16 16:00     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-16 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: insight

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 03:40:17PM -0800, Mo DeJong wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Wilson Kwan wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'm new to GDB/Insight and would like to know if anyone has written a HowTo
>> for building Insight on Windows NT? I installed cygwin 20.1 and unpacked
>> Insight 5.0. I ran ./configure and then make. After some significant time
>> chugging away at the build it stopped when compiling win32-nat.c complaining
>> that it couldn't find imagehlp.h and psapi.h.
>
>The first step is to uninstall B20 and install the net release.

This is not "B20".  This is the Cygwin net release with (currently)
the Cygwin DLL v1.1.7.

B20 is about two years old now and I'm valiantly trying to stamp out all
memory of it.

> ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin/latest/setup.exe
>
>Install it, then start bash. Download Insight and extract it.
>Create a build dir and run the Insight configure script from
>the build dir (like ../insight/configure ...).
>
>Then type "make ; make install" and you should be done.

Yep.  It should be that easy.

cgf

* Re: Insight build HowTo
@ 2001-01-17 17:04     ` Wilson Kwan
From: Wilson Kwan @ 2001-01-17 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

> The first step is to uninstall B20 and install the net release.
>
> ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin/latest/setup.exe
>
> Install it, then start bash. Download Insight and extract it.
> Create a build dir and run the Insight configure script from
> the build dir (like ../insight/configure ...).
>
> Then type "make ; make install" and you should be done.

Thanks it worked great!