public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Insight debugger question
@ 2003-01-13  4:25 Chris Dye
From: Chris Dye @ 2003-01-13  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I have been using Dev C++ 5 and I don't understand how
to use the debugger...I've heard that the Insight
debugger is better than the one that comes with Dev
C++, but the thing is that BloodShed said that it
won't work with the new versions of Dev C++ for some
reason.  Will there be a updated version of Insight
Debugger that will work with Dev C++?

~Thanks~

=====

Sign the "Mega Manifesto Petition"

Provided by Petition Online and MegaMan-X

\/ My new phpBB Boards \/

>Dark X PSX's Boards<

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

* Re: Insight debugger question
@ 2003-01-13 15:39 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-01-13 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Dye; +Cc: insight

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 20:25, Chris Dye wrote:
> I have been using Dev C++ 5 and I don't understand how
> to use the debugger...I've heard that the Insight
> debugger is better than the one that comes with Dev
> C++, but the thing is that BloodShed said that it
> won't work with the new versions of Dev C++ for some
> reason.  Will there be a updated version of Insight
> Debugger that will work with Dev C++?

<sour cherries>
[Omit venemous leaching accusations about Bloodshed and other companies
that have made me they're free technical support. Thanks a lot. I
appreciate all the "help" and incentive I get from you all.]
</sour cherries>

From the Bloodshed web page, it says that it uses gcc. Therefore, it
must use gdb, and if it uses gdb, it can use Insight, since Insight is
simply built on top of gdb (unlike all the other GUI debuggers for gdb
out there). In fact, I see from the packages page, they _are_
distributing a binary version of Insight. [Hmm.. no mention of sources,
though. I guess I should persue this and see if they are violating the
GPL.]

Perhaps what they are referring to is the fact that GDB doesn't work
very well with GCC 3.2's new C++ debug ABIs? This is a well known
problem which has nothing to do with Insight, of course. The GDB folks
are trying to fix this, but it will take time. GCC developers outnumber
GDB developers at least 20:1.

Keith