public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* 'bad code' in tcl file command
@ 2003-02-06  2:19 Jeff Mincy
From: Jeff Mincy @ 2003-02-06  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

The latest tcl 8.4 gets 'command returned bad code' errors when doing
the file copy and file rename commands.  Other than the 'bad code'
errors which have to be caught, the file commands appear to work correctly.

Here is sample output:

================
bash% rm -r -f foo bar baz

bash% which tclsh84
/usr/bin/tclsh84

bash% echo "foo bar" >> foo

bash% cat foo
foo bar

bash% tclsh84
=================

puts [file copy foo bar]
command returned bad code: 269325160

puts $errorInfo
command returned bad code: 269325160
    while executing
"puts [file copy foo bar]"

puts [file rename bar baz]
command returned bad code: 269325832

puts $errorInfo
command returned bad code: 269325832
    while executing
"puts [file rename bar baz]"

exit
================

I am on w98, running the latest cygwin.

-jeff

* Re: 'bad code' in tcl file command
@ 2003-02-07  4:28 ` Martin M. Hunt
From: Martin M. Hunt @ 2003-02-07  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Mincy; +Cc: insight

Jeff,

Thanks for catching this.  There is a problem with high levels of
optimization and some inline assembly code.  I will check in a fix as
soon as I am finished testing to make sure nothing else got broken.

Martin

@ 2003-02-07 19:59   ` Martin M. Hunt
From: Martin M. Hunt @ 2003-02-07 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin M. Hunt; +Cc: Jeff Mincy, insight

I have checked the fix for this into sources.

It turns out the tcl maintainers had already fixed this problem a week
ago, so I just copied their fix into our tree. I never noticed the bug
because of a configuration problem.  If tcl was built as part of the
toolchain, it was built with flags of "-O2".  However if you typed make
in the tcl directory, it appended a "-O" flag on, resulting in "-O2 -O"
which gcc interprets the same as "-O".  Executables built with "-O" were
fine.  I have checked in a fix to this problem too.

Martin