public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Can not view source under windows
@ 2003-02-28 17:24 Tomas Dahle
From: Tomas Dahle @ 2003-02-28 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I have been using an old precompiled version of Insight for a long time on
windows 98 and had little problems with it. Once when I installed Cygwin in
order to get the latest insight package, both the new and the old Insight
refused to display source view. Projects I have had no problems debugging
in the past would only show assembly view. Removing cygwin solved this
problem. I recently switched to Windows XP and the same behaviour of not
displaying source view is here once again.

I have learned that compiling the newest Insight on cygwin is a task
obviously targetted at someone with a lot more experience with open source
software than me, so I will rather ask you about my problems with the
precompiled version.

Is the current Insight binary package for cygwin supposed to work (as in
display source) on windows xp?

And just because I'm curious, does ./configure and make in cygwin using gcc
3.2 work? After I got all the tools it missed, I ended up with a compile
error. I just want to know if its doing something wrong, or if ./configure
and make simply does not do the job on cygwin.

Thanks in advance you for your time
--
Tomas Dahle

* Re: Can not view source under windows
@ 2003-02-28 18:26 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-02-28 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Dahle; +Cc: insight

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:56:05AM +0100, Tomas Dahle wrote:
>Is the current Insight binary package for cygwin supposed to work (as in
>display source) on windows xp?

Yes.

cgf

* Re: Can not view source under windows
@ 2003-02-28 20:40 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-02-28 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Dahle; +Cc: insight

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 02:56, Tomas Dahle wrote:
> And just because I'm curious, does ./configure and make in cygwin using gcc
> 3.2 work? After I got all the tools it missed, I ended up with a compile
> error. I just want to know if its doing something wrong, or if ./configure
> and make simply does not do the job on cygwin.

There is only one trick to compiling right now, largely because I keep
forgetting to "fix" it. If your source directory contains the "tix"
directory, REMOVE it before running configure.

Here's how I build insight, regardless of host platform:

$ cvs co insight+dejagnu
[time passes
$ ls
src/
$ mkdir cygwin  <-- or linux or hpux or whatever host I'm on; if I do a
                    cross, I use "cygwin-ppc" or "cygwin-mips-elf" etc
$ cd cygwin
$ CFLAGS="-g" ../src/configure --prefix=`pwd`/built \
    --exec-prefix=`pwd`/built/H-i686-pc-cygwin
$ make all-gdb
$ make install-gdb

That's it. There is no real magic (the tix thing excepted right now).

In fact, I'm attempting to configure and build it right now on cygwin
using this procedure.

Keith

* Re: Can not view source under windows
@ 2003-03-01 20:37   ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-03-01 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Dahle; +Cc: insight

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 10:32, Keith Seitz wrote:
> Here's how I build insight, regardless of host platform:
>
> $ cvs co insight+dejagnu
> [time passes
> $ ls
> src/
> $ mkdir cygwin  <-- or linux or hpux or whatever host I'm on; if I do a
>                     cross, I use "cygwin-ppc" or "cygwin-mips-elf" etc
> $ cd cygwin
> $ CFLAGS="-g" ../src/configure --prefix=`pwd`/built \
>     --exec-prefix=`pwd`/built/H-i686-pc-cygwin
> $ make all-gdb
> $ make install-gdb
>
> In fact, I'm attempting to configure and build it right now on cygwin
> using this procedure.

And it built, installed, and ran just fine (except for some stupid "etc
not found" error while installing, but it doesn't affect anything).

Keith

* Re: Can not view source under windows
@ 2003-03-02  0:27   ` Tomas Dahle
From: Tomas Dahle @ 2003-03-02  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf-insight; +Cc: insight

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:24:25 -0500, Christopher Faylor <cgf-
insight@sources.redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:56:05AM +0100, Tomas Dahle wrote:
>> Is the current Insight binary package for cygwin supposed to work (as in
>> display source) on windows xp?
>
> Yes.
>
> cgf

If it is supposed to work on windows xp, I would like to report that for
me, it simply refuses to display source. There has to be a reason for this
however, so does anyone have any idea? What dazzles me is that it used to
work just perfectly, so there must be something somewhere that is different
than before. It used to work without me thinking much of it, I simply
launched the program and that was it. Is there however some I might read
about in the gdb manual that can bring a solution? I have never needed to
read that before because it worked just fine, and I would rather not read
it unless it relates at all to the problem of not displaying source.

--

@ 2003-03-02  2:08     ` Heiko Gerdau
From: Heiko Gerdau @ 2003-03-02  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tomas Dahle'; +Cc: insight

Hi,

> Tomas Dahle wrote:
> If it is supposed to work on windows xp, I would like to
> report that for
> me, it simply refuses to display source. There has to be a
> reason for this
> however, so does anyone have any idea? What dazzles me is
> that it used to
> work just perfectly, so there must be something somewhere
> that is different
> than before. It used to work without me thinking much of it, I simply
> launched the program and that was it.

yes, there are always problems with the way cygwin handles the path on
windows.

You may try this: Get a gdb console from the insight view menu and tell
gdb about the location of your source directory. Lets say your source
files are located in "c:\src" then type on the gdb command line:

[gdb] directory /cygdrive/c/src

you might need to set your executable again with
[gdb] exec-file /cygdrive/c/whereever/foo.exe

now you should see your source and insight just works fine.

Greetings
Heiko

* Re: Can not view source under windows
@ 2003-03-03  0:24     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-03-03  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Dahle; +Cc: insight

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 12:37, Tomas Dahle wrote:

> If it is supposed to work on windows xp, I would like to report that for
> me, it simply refuses to display source. There has to be a reason for this
> however, so does anyone have any idea?

Ok, since you are still having problems, here are some things you can do
to help me (us?) diagnose the problem.

1) Verify that you are using "-g" (or some variation of it) when
compiling. (I know, this is a stupid, stupid thing, but it does happen,
and it cannot hurt to ask.) If you run "objdump --debug" on the exe, is
anything produced? (If you're using dwarf, does "readelf -w" output
anything?)

2) If you open a console window and type "list main", does it return the
source file list for main?

3) Open a debug window ("tk ManagedWin::open DebugWin" at console
prompt). Now select (or enter) "main" from the function combo box. What
is output to the debug window?

4) What is the output of "info func main" (or any other function in your
program? [Type this at the console window]

5) Also at a console window, what does "tk gdb_loc main" (or any other
function in your app) show?

6) Can you describe EXACTLY what you are doing? "I start Insight, select
File->SESSION 1, and it does not show main()" or "I start insight with
filename on the command line, it starts, but doesn't show main".

Keith