public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* [Q] Debugging a program with console parameter etc with insight.
@ 2003-03-03  3:02 JongAm Park
From: JongAm Park @ 2003-03-03  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hello.

I was sick of the default Unix debugger, gdb.
I used KDevelop on my Linux, but it has some serious shortcomings.
RedHat 8.x lacks some header files that should exist.
So, now I use the Cygwin for writing codes for Unix. And there I found a
GUI debugger. It's INSIGHT. :)

Well.. it's good. However I don't know how to do this.

      Debugging a program that reads its data from stdin,
                     for example,     myprog < myconf.txt
      Debuggin a program that reads console parameter
                     for example, myprog param1 param2 ..

Could  you tell me how it can be debugged using the INSIGHT?
Thank you.

* Re: [Q] Debugging a program with console parameter etc with insight.
@ 2003-03-03  5:11 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-03-03  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JongAm Park; +Cc: insight

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 04:24:38PM -0800, JongAm Park wrote:
>So, now I use the Cygwin for writing codes for Unix.  And there I found
>a GUI debugger.  It's INSIGHT.  :)

Why not use insight for linux?  Just build it.

>Well.. it's good. However I don't know how to do this.
>
>     Debugging a program that reads its data from stdin,
>                    for example,     myprog < myconf.txt
>     Debuggin a program that reads console parameter
>                    for example, myprog param1 param2 ..
>
>Could  you tell me how it can be debugged using the INSIGHT?
>Thank you.

None of the above should be issues for insight running on linux.

cgf

* Re: [Q] Debugging a program with console parameter etc with insight.
@ 2003-03-03  5:43   ` JongAm Park
From: JongAm Park @ 2003-03-03  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Well, recently I had some problems with Linux.

The KDE programs won't be launched due to some KDELauncher
connection problem.

What do you mean by saying that all I asked is not an issue
on Linux? Is there something different from cygwin version?
Well.. I can't find any big difference between Linux and Cygwin version.

Could you explain about it more?

Thank you.

@ 2003-03-03  6:00     ` Christopher Faylor
       [not found]       ` <3E62ED7E.7010305@attbi.com>
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-03-03  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JongAm Park; +Cc: insight

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 09:11:21PM -0800, JongAm Park wrote:
>Well, recently I had some problems with Linux.
>
>The KDE programs won't be launched due to some KDELauncher
>connection problem.
>
>What do you mean by saying that all I asked is not an issue
>on Linux? Is there something different from cygwin version?

Cygwin doesn't deal well with command line redirection like '>'.
Linux does.

cgf

@ 2003-03-03  6:13         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-03-03  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JongAm Park; +Cc: insight

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 09:51:58PM -0800, JongAm Park wrote:
>Hello.
>
>Well..  the cygwin does support command line redirection.  I've written
>some codes using it.

I'm telling you that you can't currently do the kind of command line
redirection that you mentioned in your email.  You can specify arguments
by opening a console and saying "set args foo bar etc" but command
line redirection in insight or gdb DOESN'T WORK.

cgf

* Re: [Q] Debugging a program with console parameter etc with insight.
@ 2003-03-03 16:07           ` JongAm Park
From: JongAm Park @ 2003-03-03 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Ah.... I see.
I didn't understand what you said.

Thank you very much.

@ 2003-03-03 18:22 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-03-03 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JongAm Park; +Cc: insight

On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 16:24, JongAm Park wrote:

> I was sick of the default Unix debugger, gdb.
> I used KDevelop on my Linux, but it has some serious shortcomings.
> RedHat 8.x lacks some header files that should exist.
> So, now I use the Cygwin for writing codes for Unix. And there I found a
> GUI debugger. It's INSIGHT. :)

Insight is gdb. Insight also runs on every platform that gdb does. I use
it regularly on Red Hat Linux.

>       Debugging a program that reads its data from stdin,
>                      for example,     myprog < myconf.txt
>       Debuggin a program that reads console parameter
>                      for example, myprog param1 param2 ..

Both of these could be specified by supplying arguments to the
executable you are going to run. This can be done in two ways: use the
Target Selection dialog (File->Target Settings...). Select the "exec"
target and enter your arguments ("< myconf.txt" for the first; "param1
param2" for second).

Now, if you want to actually have the terminal around for std input, I
think that on cygwin you may be out of luck -- I'm not sure: I don't use
cygwin very much any more, and when I do, it is only for debugging
insight, which is not a command-line application.

However, on unix, you can also select the "use xterm as inferior's
terminal" option in Target Settings to get an xterm open.

Keith