public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* insight on windows
@ 2003-05-28 20:57 Torsten Mohr
From: Torsten Mohr @ 2003-05-28 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

i wrote a software that allows to debug an ARM core
via the PCs parallel port.  That software runs on
Linux at the moment.

I try to port it to Windows now.  To have it all
on one PC it would be great if i could test it
on Windows and therefore have INSIGHT available
on Windows.
I just tried to compile insight-5.3 on cygwin,
but it failed.

Is there any description on how to compile insight
on cygwin?  Or some other way so i can run insight
on Windows?

Best regards,
Torsten.

* Re: insight on windows
@ 2003-05-28 21:22 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-05-28 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Mohr; +Cc: insight

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 13:35, Torsten Mohr wrote:
> Is there any description on how to compile insight
> on cygwin?  Or some other way so i can run insight
> on Windows?

Do not use 5.3 on windows. If you MUST use 5.3, you must follow the
directions on http://sources.redhat.com/insight/cygwin.html .

If you use a snapshot instead (or CVS head), you'd be better off. This
will pull in a standard version of Tcl/Tk, identical to the official
Tcl/Tk at sourceforge.

There have been random failings with builds on various systems. I'm not
entirely sure why: it works just fine for me with out-of-the-box cygwin
and insight sources. If you do use CVS head or a snapshot and run into
problems with dejagnu, just whack the dejagnu directory when
configuring. I hear that a fix for this should be in any day now...

Keith

* Re: insight on windows
@ 2003-06-03 13:59 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-06-03 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vadiraj_kulkarni; +Cc: insight

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 22:25, vadraj kulkarni wrote:

> Ans: i have used gcc - 3.2 for compiling insight -5.0

Should work, but since 5.0 is about three (four?) years old, I haven't
tried it in a very, very long time.

> >Run the exe under gdb (gdb -nw). Then when the exe crashes, get a
> >backtrace using the "backtrace" command. Send the stack backtrace to the
> >list.
> >
> Ans: Unfortunately i am not finding any backtrace command. I have already tried gdb -nw(ie. arm-elf-gdb -nw)
> Same error message i will get. Case is true with gdb -v(arm-elf-gdb -v) also.

The gdb that came with cygwin doesn't work? You should be able to do:

$ /usr/bin/gdb -nx -q gdb
(gdb) run -w
[wait for crash]
(gdb) backtrace

Perl crashing during configure time (as you posted on cygwin mailing
list) sounds suspicious (like a cygwin.dll problem -- multiples?).
Please send the file "cygcheck.out" from "cygcheck -s -v -r >
cygcheck.out".

Methinks your cygwin installation is messed up.
Keith

* Re: insight on windows
@ 2003-06-03  5:26 vadraj kulkarni
From: vadraj kulkarni @ 2003-06-03  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vadiraj_kulkarni, Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-06-02 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vadiraj_kulkarni; +Cc: insight

@ 2003-06-02 12:55 vadraj kulkarni
From: vadraj kulkarni @ 2003-06-02 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

Hi,
This i regariding compiling insight on cygwin. As i had mentioned in the previous mail, i have successfully installed cygwin. I am also able to install and compile(arm-elf) the below utilities.
1). newlib-1.9
2). binutils-2.10
3). gcc-2.95
4). insight-5.0

i am able to compile a simple .c file and execute. But the problem is when i tried to run gdb(i.e arm-elf-gdb), i get the below message.

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown. ..........."

If you tell me why this problem arise, it will help lot.

thanks & regards
vadiraj

>On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 13:35, Torsten Mohr wrote:
>> Is there any description on how to compile insight
>> on cygwin?  Or some other way so i can run insight
>> on Windows?
>
>Do not use 5.3 on windows. If you MUST use 5.3, you must follow the
>directions on http://sources.redhat.com/insight/cygwin.html .
>
>If you use a snapshot instead (or CVS head), you'd be better off. This
>will pull in a standard version of Tcl/Tk, identical to the official
>Tcl/Tk at sourceforge.
>
>There have been random failings with builds on various systems. I'm not
>entirely sure why: it works just fine for me with out-of-the-box cygwin
>and insight sources. If you do use CVS head or a snapshot and run into
>problems with dejagnu, just whack the dejagnu directory when
>configuring. I hear that a fix for this should be in any day now...
>
>Keith

* Re: insight on windows
@ 2003-05-29 15:49 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-05-29 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vadiraj_kulkarni; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 02:13, vadraj kulkarni wrote:

> configuration starts. After displaying below message, it will get halted. it never continue.
> If any of you can tell me where is the mistake, it will be v. helpful.
>
> Checking whether to build shared libraries... no
> Checking whether to build static libraries... yes

What version are you trying to configure? CVS/snapshot? 5.3?

We need to find out what is blocking it. Can you try running configure
under "bash -x" (output result to file) and see where it is hanging? I
would also recommend running strace on it, too. That should help narrow
the problem down. I suspect it's something simple that your cygwin
installation is missing.

Keith

* Re: insight on windows
@ 2003-05-29  9:13 vadraj kulkarni
From: vadraj kulkarni @ 2003-05-29  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Mohr, Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

Hi all,
I wanted to compile insight on windows. For that i have successfully installed cygwin.
But i am facing problem during configuring. When i say
../configure --prefix=/usr/local -v

configuration starts. After displaying below message, it will get halted. it never continue.
If any of you can tell me where is the mistake, it will be v. helpful.

Checking whether to build shared libraries... no
Checking whether to build static libraries... yes

Thanks
vadiraj