public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Insight-5.2.1, msgfmt, & CYGWIN
@ 2003-06-11 19:18 Duane Ellis
From: Duane Ellis @ 2003-06-11 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

I need to back port some inhouse ARMulator enhancments to a version of
insight that builds & runs under CYGWIN.

I am following the steps on the /cygwin.html page - checked out and
reverted all the files - ran ./configure and now I'm trying to compile
insight. It stops looking for a "msgfmt" program.

This was not clear in the HTML page. I guess a CVS checkout
is more like "maintainer mode"

Specifically - it would be helpful if this sentence was inserted into
the "Configure And Build" section of the page.

     This CVS version may require msgfmt, it is part of the GNU
     gettext package. Specifically you need to install the
     gettext-devel package, in addition to plain gettext package.

Ref: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/sid/2003-q2/msg00002.html

--Duane.

* Re: Insight-5.2.1, msgfmt, & CYGWIN
@ 2003-06-11 19:42 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-06-11 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: duane_ellis; +Cc: insight

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 12:18, Duane Ellis wrote:
> I need to back port some inhouse ARMulator enhancments to a version of
> insight that builds & runs under CYGWIN.

Yich. 5.2.1? I feel your pain. (But not that much. I always encourage
people to use CVS until the next release, which will contain stock
tcl/tk8.4.) Despite some small drawing problems (mumble mumble
checkboxes mumble mumble), it is much better than using the old tcl/tk
8.3, which were entirely unusable on cygwin. (I presume that's why
you're going all the way back to 5.2.)

> I am following the steps on the /cygwin.html page - checked out and
> reverted all the files - ran ./configure and now I'm trying to compile
> insight. It stops looking for a "msgfmt" program.

Insight isn't looking for it: BFD is. And it isn't just cygwin. ALL
platforms need msgfmt installed to compile bfd. One also needs perl (for
opcodes/), libtool if building shared, a compiler, linker, assembler,
etc. Ok, so I am exaggerating a bit, but not by much.

It is not possible for me to track every dependency all the packags that
a required to build insight. I don't, for example, see suggestions like
this go to the gdb mailing list or the gimp and mozilla mailing lists.

I hardly work on Insight any more to begin with (oh, boy, but I get to
free technical support for untold numbers of commercial vendors. Despite
my redhat.com address, I do NOT get paid to do anything insight-related;
much like Chris Faylor and Corinna Vinschen with cygwin).

Ugh. Rant mode kicked in. Nonetheless, your comments do not fall on deaf
ears. I will try to make a FAQ entry for this. Hmm. I thought that I
already posted some minimal FAQ on building Insight. I guess not. (Or at
least nothing is showing up on the web server. Maybe I forgot to check
something in? Ugh. I'm getting old.)

Keith

* Re: Insight-5.2.1, msgfmt, & CYGWIN
@ 2003-06-11 20:42   ` Duane Ellis
From: Duane Ellis @ 2003-06-11 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keiths; +Cc: insight

>> I presume that's why you're going all the way back to
   5.2.

No, I thought that 5.3 did not build under CYGWIN... so when
I started my hack job I took 5.2.1 - thinking that it worked.

I guess I Thunked wrong.

What do you think I should be using? I need arm-elf support host linux
and host cygwin.

My hack job on is some additions to sim/common and sim/arm - adding a
simulated lcd, timer (generates IRQs), and keyboard (does IRQs too) -
really simple stuff not complicated at all. Wrote it all in about 3
days.

A report to (better?) version of insight should take a day at most.

Any time line for 5.4?

@ 2003-06-11 21:02     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-06-11 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: duane_ellis; +Cc: insight

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 13:42, Duane Ellis wrote:
> >> I presume that's why you're going all the way back to
>    5.2.
>
> No, I thought that 5.3 did not build under CYGWIN... so when
> I started my hack job I took 5.2.1 - thinking that it worked.
>
> I guess I Thunked wrong.

No, that's correct. 5.3 doesn't work, but 5.2 is of the neglect era. (I
left Cygnus Solutions in 1999 for almost two years. During that time,
very little happened. When I "returned" in 2001, I was hired to get
Insight back in shape. Just over a year ago, I was switched onto a new
project, and aside from Martin Hunt's tcl/tk activity, Red Hat has not
sponsored Insight development/maintainance at all. Just like cygwin,
actually. We're "non-products".

> What do you think I should be using? I need arm-elf support host linux
> and host cygwin.

If it is ultra-critical that everything be "perfect", I guess I would
stick to 5.2. However, if you can tolerate some small inperfections
(like the checkbox bug), I would highly recommend using a snapshot/CVS.
It has *stock* tcl/tk 8.4 (small configury change to install in
GNU-approved places), and it is substantially faster. (Oh, did I mention
that tix is also gone from that release?)

> A report to (better?) version of insight should take a day at most.

I would recommend CVS, then. Despite it's shortcomings, I think it is
still better than 5.2. It is almost equivalent to 5.3 (it may be
slightly better), but it's basically the same (and it works on cygwin).

> Any time line for 5.4?

I think Andrew has released his estimates at 5.4 on the gdb list.
Unfortunately, I haven't done a thing with Insight. So aside from the
-tic +tcl/tk8.4, and a bug fix or two, there's not much new in Insight
for 5.4. (Same with 5.2 and 5.3, too, sadly.) Sigh.

:-(
Keith, your miserable maintainer