public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* RE: question about run download sequence
       [not found] <GBEOKKOEOGFDMKDFCHIMCEBGCAAA.aaron.case@dynazign.com>
@ 2003-06-20 16:02 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-06-20 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Case; +Cc: insight

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 08:40, Aaron Case wrote:

> 5)Next I try to download Connect->Download the code to the target. This
> appears to work and gives a message indicating that the file was downloaded.
>
> 6)Then I click Connect->Run.  This is where the problems begin. Insight then
> gets stuck in an infinite loop of downloading and popping up the target
> settings box with no way to exit.

Ok, that's the problem. One does not use "run" on remote targets. This
is a gdb policy. It has to do with gdb's staunch assertion that run
actually creates an inferior PROCESS. Remote boards don't have processes
(at least in gdb's view of the board). Use "continue" instead. The
download will have set the PC to the entry address in the file. This is
essentially the same as "running" it. It's a little technical, but,
well, that's the way gdb works.

I recommend NOT doing steps 5 & 6. Instead, just click the run button.
It will do the download and automatically continue the target. (These
settings can be modified in the Target Settings dialog. Click "More
options".)

Let me know how that goes.

Keith

* Re: question about run download sequence
@ 2003-06-20 14:24 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-06-20 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Case; +Cc: insight

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 05:26, Aaron Case wrote:
> I can open the file, add breaks, connect to target, and download the file.
> The problem comes when I run the file. It tries to download the file over
> and over. The program gets stuck in the target setting dialog box and is
> unrecoverable at this point.I have to kill the program and restart it. I
> have tried arm elf format and srec format with the same result.

Can you explain the exact sequence of steps that you use to run your
program? (File->Open, click Run, Select "foo" target, port/baud, etc)
Make sure you include what target settings you are attempting to use and
what hardware (MultiICE? ARMulator?).

You should be able to just click Run and it should "just work," provided
everything is okay. (Which it appears not to. :-)

A couple of things to try:
1. Try running to a breakpoint using "vanilla" (command-line) gdb. This
will tell us if there is something wrong with all the "backend" stuff
(gdb) or if the problem lies in the GUI code (Insight).

2. Try opening a debug window when you go to run. You can do this by
opening a console window and entering the command "tk ManagedWin::open
DebugWin" at the "(gdb)" prompt.

3. Keep the console window open when attaching/downloading/running. Any
warnings/errors output to it?

4. Does it work on the built-in simulator?

Gdb should be able to download either of these file formats (elf,srec).

Keith

* question about run download sequence
@ 2003-06-20 12:27 Aaron Case
From: Aaron Case @ 2003-06-20 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I am running the arm-elf-gdb version of gdb and I have problems running once
I have downloaded the elf file.

I can open the file, add breaks, connect to target, and download the file.
The problem comes when I run the file. It tries to download the file over
and over. The program gets stuck in the target setting dialog box and is
unrecoverable at this point.I have to kill the program and restart it. I
have tried arm elf format and srec format with the same result.

Any hints on the causes like file format, etc, would be welcomed.

Thanks in Advance

Aaron Case