public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Debugger freeze problem when you specify program on the command line
@ 2003-06-30  8:52 Al Leitch
From: Al Leitch @ 2003-06-30  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Thankfully there's a nice but slightly inconvient workaround for this,
anyway...  If you run insight and specify on the command line, a program to
debug, it works all and well.  The problems begin when you "hit" the run
button.  Then the whole debugger and program apparently freezes.  Even if
you simply press the "nexti" button, the freeze will happen.

Here's the workaround...  Simply run insight without specifying any programs
on the command line and then within the GUI, go to File and from there,
select whatever program you want to debug.  Then when you try to start the
debugee, no freeze occurs and you can work on your debugging tasks.

* Re: Debugger freeze problem when you specify program on the command line
@ 2003-06-30 18:10 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-06-30 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Leitch; +Cc: insight

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 01:52, Al Leitch wrote:
> Thankfully there's a nice but slightly inconvient workaround for this,
> anyway...  If you run insight and specify on the command line, a program to
> debug, it works all and well.  The problems begin when you "hit" the run
> button.  Then the whole debugger and program apparently freezes.  Even if
> you simply press the "nexti" button, the freeze will happen.

There should be no difference between specifying a program name on the
command line (which is what I do 99% of the time) and using a menu or
shortcut.

Next time you try this, double-check the target settings (File->Target
Settings...), keep a console window open (View->Console), and keep a
debug window open. That should let you know if there are any
errors/warnings that you might be missing.

To open a debug window, enter "tk ManagedWin::open DebugWin" at the
console prompt.

Keith