public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Building Insight for OpenRISC
@ 2003-08-13 15:50 Robert Cragie
From: Robert Cragie @ 2003-08-13 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

I am trying to build Insight for OpenRISC target. The one on the OpenCores
CVS server is totally broken and looking at Insight 5.3, I noticed it
supported or32 in the bfd at least. I tried to build it and it comes up with
the error during configuration:

../insight-5.3/configure --target=or32-elf --prefix=/opt/or32-elf

In the tix directory it bombs out with:

*** Gdb does not support target or32-unknown-elf

Can anyone give me the status of Insight for or32?

Robert Cragie, Design Engineer
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT,  UK
http://www.jennic.com  Tel: +44 (0) 114 281 2655

* Re: Building Insight for OpenRISC
@ 2003-08-13 16:27 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-08-13 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Cragie; +Cc: insight

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 08:50, Robert Cragie wrote:
> ../insight-5.3/configure --target=or32-elf --prefix=/opt/or32-elf
>
> In the tix directory it bombs out with:
/tix/gdb/

> *** Gdb does not support target or32-unknown-elf
>
> Can anyone give me the status of Insight for or32?

The message really says it all: gdb doesn't support or32-elf (and
therefore insight doesn't support it).

I don't see anything offhand in the gdb sources to indicate that a
target called or32 exists. Your best bet is to ask on the gdb mailing
list (gdb at sources dot redhat dot com).

Keith

* RE: Building Insight for OpenRISC
@ 2003-08-13 17:00   ` Robert Cragie
From: Robert Cragie @ 2003-08-13 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

I see in bfd:

coff-or32.c
cpu-openrisc.c
cpu-or32.c
elf-openrisc.c
elf-or32.c

and in opcodes:

openrisc-*.c

...surely this shows there is at least intended support for OpenRISC?! There
is a version of gdb 5.0 which I obtained from the OpenCores CVS server which
seems to work OK but, as I mentioned, the version of Insight on their CVS
server is broken as I think it was checked in with a build tree intertwined
and even after trying to get rid of that, it wouldn't build properly. I have
queried this also via the OpenCores mailing list but no response as yet.

It would be nice if both gdb and Insight were updated to include the
OpenRISC CPU properly at some stage.

@ 2003-08-13 17:14     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-08-13 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Cragie; +Cc: insight

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 10:00, Robert Cragie wrote:
> I see in bfd:
>
> coff-or32.c
> cpu-openrisc.c
> cpu-or32.c
> elf-openrisc.c
> elf-or32.c
>
> and in opcodes:
>
> openrisc-*.c

There appears to be BFD support, but no one appears to have ever
contributed a gdb port.

> It would be nice if both gdb and Insight were updated to include the
> OpenRISC CPU properly at some stage.

I suggest you get the people involved in the port to submit to the FSF.
It requires real work to do a debugger port for a processor and keep it
current with the fluctuating development. I'm sure there's a current
complier port because compilers are sexy and debuggers are not.

I suggest you hound the people who provide insight/gdb ports to formally
submit the port to mainline -- to give back a little something. Or you
could always attempt to do it yourself. :-)

Maybe someone has submitted? I don't know -- I don't track gdb that
closely anymore. You're much better off asking on the gdb list, where
hundreds of people hang out. As it is with insight, there is really just
me.

Wish I could be more helpful.
Keith