public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* insight-6.0: error loading an ELF (target arm-unknown-elf)
@ 2003-11-20 14:02 Torsten Mohr
From: Torsten Mohr @ 2003-11-20 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

i have a small "hello world" example for an ARM
evaluation board.   It worked fine with previos
toolchains (binutils, gcc, insight).

But insight-6.0 refuses to load the ELF (filename "main"):

Error loading "path/main":
 bad offset (0x20206a6) in compilation unit header
(offset 0x0 + 6) [in module /path/main]

The whole project with generated objects, the final ELF,
the linker script and Makefile is located at:

http://www.s.netic.de/tmohr/eb01.tar.bz2 (~ 14k)

I use the latest tool chain:
binutils-2.14
gcc-3.3.2
insight-6.0

I don't think the error is in insight, but i'm really
interested in what this error message means, it doesn't
mean anything to me at the moment.  As readelf and objcopy
work fine, it might be some information in the debug
sections?

Where is the error located, is it (my project), binutils,
gcc or insight?  Or what else?

Thanks for any hints,
Torsten.

* Re: insight-6.0: error loading an ELF (target arm-unknown-elf)
@ 2003-11-20 15:33 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-11-20 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Mohr; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 05:48, Torsten Mohr wrote:
> But insight-6.0 refuses to load the ELF (filename "main"):
>
> Error loading "path/main":
>  bad offset (0x20206a6) in compilation unit header
> (offset 0x0 + 6) [in module /path/main]

[snip]

> I don't think the error is in insight, but i'm really
> interested in what this error message means, it doesn't
> mean anything to me at the moment.  As readelf and objcopy
> work fine, it might be some information in the debug
> sections?

You are absolutely correct. [How refreshing: someone who understands the
difference between insight and gdb!]

Given the language of the error message ("compilation unit header"), I
suspect your suspicions about the debug info are correct: there is an
error with gdb reading the dwarf debug info.

Your best route is to run this via the command line, take your testcase
and command line output, and bring it to the attention of the gdb folks:
gdb At sources. DoT readhat dOt com.

Good luck,
Keith