public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* FW: remote serial target - "not a typewriter" failure message
@ 2003-11-21  7:27 Backhaus Willy
From: Backhaus Willy @ 2003-11-21  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

hello,

maybe it't OT..

I sent this mail to thr gdb people, but I didn't get an answer.
can someone help me with this?

I'm using cygwin dll 1.5.5-1 under win2000.

Regards,
Willy

* Re: FW: remote serial target - "not a typewriter" failure message
@ 2003-11-21 19:05 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-11-21 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Backhaus Willy; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 23:33, Backhaus Willy wrote:
> > we are using cygwin and arm-elf-gdb (actually insight) to
> > debug our embedded systems.
> > when trying to connect (with "target remote COMx") I get the
> > message "not a typewriter".

Hmmm I've not seen this error myself, but then I don't do embedded work
anymore (much less on Windows).

What version of insight/gdb are you using? Does this happen with vanilla
gdb? (Add -nw flag)

Keith

* FW: remote serial target - "not a typewriter" failure message
@ 2003-11-27 11:25   ` Backhaus Willy
From: Backhaus Willy @ 2003-11-27 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

hello,

> Hmmm I've not seen this error myself, but then I don't do
> embedded work
> anymore (much less on Windows).
>
> What version of insight/gdb are you using? Does this happen
> with vanilla
> gdb? (Add -nw flag)

it's gdb 6.0.

someone gave me a good hint: to use /dev/ttyS0 instead of COM1.
it works only if I use the "target" and "load" in the console window. the
Insight menu entries "target settings", "connect to target" and "download"
doesn't work.

@ 2003-11-28 20:37     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-11-28 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Backhaus Willy; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 03:32, Backhaus Willy wrote:
> someone gave me a good hint: to use /dev/ttyS0 instead of COM1.
> it works only if I use the "target" and "load" in the console window. the
> Insight menu entries "target settings", "connect to target" and "download"
> doesn't work.

Historically on cygwin, insight has always used com1, com2, ...

If you really feel like it, you can edit interace.tcl and
targetselection.itb and change cygwin to use /dev/ttyS#, too.

Has a bug report been filed with gdb?
Keith