public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Problem with compilation
@ 2004-06-23 16:33 Przemyslaw Sliwa
From: Przemyslaw Sliwa @ 2004-06-23 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Dear All,

while trying to compile insight from the ource I get the following error

checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for ar... ar
checking for dlltool... dlltool
checking for windres... windres
checking for mig... mig
checking for main in -lm... yes
checking for wctype... yes
checking for library containing gethostbyname... none required
checking for library containing socketpair... none required
checking for library containing tgetent... no
configure: error: no termcap library found
make: *** [configure-gdb] Error 1

The run oc configure script is fine. However make fails.
I have installed a relativelly new version of the required library termcap
but
make does not recognise it at all, it seems.

I run Suse 9.1 linux on a Athln 2000+-mobile.

Do you have any ideas why the problem occurs_

Thank you fr help,

Przemyslaw

* Re: Problem with compilation
@ 2004-06-23 17:10 ` Keith Seitz
       [not found]   ` <55898.62.255.64.4.1087940403.squirrel@webmail.euv-frankfurt-o.de>
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-06-23 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sliwa; +Cc: insight

This is really a question for the gdb list, but I'll give it a go
anyway...

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 14:22, Przemyslaw Sliwa wrote:
> checking for library containing tgetent... no
> configure: error: no termcap library found
> make: *** [configure-gdb] Error 1

You say you've installed a termcap library. I presume it's somewhere
where gdb can get to it? Configure certainly doesn't seem to think that
one is available.

Here's the snippet from src/gdb/configure.in which deals with termcap:
AC_SEARCH_LIBS(tgetent, [termcap tinfo ncurses Hcurses curses])

if test "$ac_cv_search_tgetent" = no; then
  AC_MSG_ERROR([no termcap library found])
fi

As you can see, configure is looking for the function tgetent by linking
using "-ltermcap", "-tinfo", "-lncurses", "-lHcurses", "-lcurses". You
might try running this test manually to verify the results.

On my FC2 box, I have the packages "ncurses" and "termcap" installed. Do
you? My cvs HEAD version of gdb is linked against both of these
packages.

Keith

@ 2004-06-23 17:29     ` Keith Seitz
       [not found]       ` <25860.62.255.64.4.1087941265.squirrel@webmail.euv-frankfurt-o.de>
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-06-23 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sliwa; +Cc: insight

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 14:40, Przemyslaw Sliwa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have both liraries and it does not work,
>
> I have no idea why.

Hmm. Can you link against by hand? When the configure fails, there
should be a config.log or some such file in src/gdb with the exact
command(s) that configure tried to use. Are the paths all right?

Keith

@ 2004-06-24  5:39         ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-06-24  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sliwa; +Cc: insight

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 14:54, Przemyslaw Sliwa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for reply. What do you mean link by hand??

$ echo foo.c
char initscr ();

int main () {
   initscr ();
   return 0;
}

$ gcc foo.c -lncurses

Then also try "-lHcurses", "-lcurses", "-lpdcurses", etc. On your system
I would expect "-lncurses" to work.

Do the same thing except substitute "tgetent" for "initscr" and try
linking against "-ltermcap".

> the  confug.log looks like:

[snip]
> cannot find -lncurses
[snip]
> cannot find -lHcurses
[snip]
> cannot find -lcurses
[snip]
> cannot find -lpdcurses
[snip]
> cannot find -ltermcap
[snip]
> cannot find -ltinfo
[snip]
> cannot find -lncurses
[snip]
> cannot find -lHcurses
[snip]
> cannot find -lcurses

Certainly looks like configure cannot find termcap or ncurses. Do
/usr/lib/libtermcap.* and /usr/lib/libncurses.* exist? Where did you
install these packages? If you put them into /usr/local/lib or some
other place, make sure that this directory is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that
the linker can find them.

Keith