public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Where is insight 6.1.1?
@ 2004-07-09  1:10 Jie Zhang
From: Jie Zhang @ 2004-07-09  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Gdb-6.1.1 was release about three weeks ago, but I cannot find
insight-6.1.1 tarball in the ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/releases/.
I also cannot find any insight snapshot in the
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/. What happened to Insight?
Was it dead?

Regards
--
Jie

* Re: Where is insight 6.1.1?
@ 2004-07-09  1:17 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-07-09  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jie Zhang; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 18:10, Jie Zhang wrote:
> Gdb-6.1.1 was release about three weeks ago, but I cannot find
> insight-6.1.1 tarball in the ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/releases/.
> I also cannot find any insight snapshot in the
> ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/. What happened to Insight?
> Was it dead?

I don't know. I haven't heard from Andrew (gdb maintainer). Maybe the
snapshots are broken. Maybe the inability of Red Hat and/or FSF to
officially donate/accept Insight has irritated gdb too much, and they're
dropping it.

All I know is that until Insight is officially donated to/accepted by
the FSF, I am not going to work on it very much, other than to keep it
working for my needs. And even if/when that hurdle is finally overcome,
I doubt that I will work on it too much, since IMO, very few care
(except when things break). Okay, that's harsh. I can name two people
who care (me being one of them).

You're best bet is to check them out of CVS. Directions are on the web
page (sources.redhat.com/insight/downloads.htm). [Grab development
version or look for a 6.1.1 branch name that was used.]

Keith

* RE: Where is insight 6.1.1?
@ 2004-07-09  9:45   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-07-09  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 18:10, Jie Zhang wrote:
> > Gdb-6.1.1 was release about three weeks ago, but I cannot find
> > insight-6.1.1 tarball in the
> ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/releases/.
> > I also cannot find any insight snapshot in the
> > ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/. What happened
> to Insight?
> > Was it dead?
>
> I don't know. I haven't heard from Andrew (gdb maintainer). Maybe the
> snapshots are broken.

  Just FYI, I've found that the hybrid combination of gdb-6.1.1 core and
insight-6.1 gui seems to work, at least to a first approximation.  You just
have to copy the itcl, libgui, tcl, tk, gdb/gdbtk and
gdb/testsuite/gdb.gdbtk directories from the insight source tree to the gdb
one.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: Where is insight 6.1.1?
@ 2004-07-09 16:51     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-07-09 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: insight

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 02:43, Dave Korn wrote:
>   Just FYI, I've found that the hybrid combination of gdb-6.1.1 core and
> insight-6.1 gui seems to work, at least to a first approximation.  You just
> have to copy the itcl, libgui, tcl, tk, gdb/gdbtk and
> gdb/testsuite/gdb.gdbtk directories from the insight source tree to the gdb
> one.

Excellent idea! Users could also probably checkout src/gdb/gdbtk (the
directory) and whack that into their gdb 6.1.1 sources.

Keith

* Re: Where is insight 6.1.1?
@ 2004-07-12  1:07     ` Jie Zhang
From: Jie Zhang @ 2004-07-12  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: insight

Hi Dave,

>   Just FYI, I've found that the hybrid combination of gdb-6.1.1 core and
> insight-6.1 gui seems to work, at least to a first approximation.  You just
> have to copy the itcl, libgui, tcl, tk, gdb/gdbtk and
> gdb/testsuite/gdb.gdbtk directories from the insight source tree to the gdb
> one.

Thanks. I will try it.

Regards
--